Thread: Can someone help me evaluate used Bamboo Rods?

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

kb...

I would only add the following to your comments about the vintage so-called 'trade rods'; not only did Montague, but also H-I, and Southbend, to name a few more, also made a few "Cadillacs" along with their standard run of "Chevrolets". To specifically name a rod for each, there is the Montague "Red Wing", the H-I "Tonka Queen", and the Southbend "290". All three are highly sought after today.

With respect to your "scrounge rod", my first one had a similar beginning, but it was made originally from the mid- and tip of an old Wards 9ft. Thorobred. Upon completion, it handled a 3wt beautifully. "Scrounging" through my 'odds-and-ends' box one day, I realized that I had an extra tip, of unknown origin, that appeared to be a 'fit' for the little jewel. Sure enough, the ferrule was a perfect fit, as was the length and bamboo color. Refinished this tip, which is a bit heavier, dimension wise, than the original, and gave it a whorl. It failed miserably with a 3 wt. I jumped to a 5 wt line, and was astounded! Handles it like it was made for it. I now have what I refer to as a 2/2/2 (2 cubed) rod: 2 pieces; 2 tips; and 2 line weights! I have made a second one, and it is a solid 5wt.

All of this hoopla about the old trade rods, and the japanese rods being less than worthless, reminds me of the experience a close friend had playing golf on a private 'high-dollar' course where he was playing as a guest. As they were finishing up on a tee box, another group came up to wait there turn. My friend overheard one of the guys in the other group ask one of them, also a guest, why he did not move into this highly restrictive gated community. The guy's response was there there were too many less than $1,000,000.00 homes in it to suit him!

Cheers!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 09-24-2012 at 11:01 AM.