Thread: Can someone help me evaluate used Bamboo Rods?

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Responding with comments on each and every rod listed is a tall order, as some warrant more comment than others.

In short, the Japanese rods made after WW II as a major 'sell' item to occupying US forces are typically looked down upon, and don't bring much on eBay. However, there are some good ones that may suit your needs and wants. I have refinished three over the past couple of years for individuals who are keeping them as mementos. All cast quite well; but I did not fish them. Attention to detail was lacking onal three. If you bid on eBay, just make sure you can return it if not satisfied. Most sellers today have a "NO RETURN" policy.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2-piece 6ft +/- "rebuilt" rods from the mid- and tip sections of a longer rod. There is definitely a fishing niche for them. They are fantastic for small streams and for harassing bluegills in a small pond. I have two that I have made, and they are my standard 'go to' rods for the ponds in my neighborhood. I would NOT use them for large streams/rivers or for trying to throw large bugs and poppers!

Anything by Heddon, Granger, the Wright-McGill Grangers and even some Montagues, Horrocks-Ibbotsons (H-I), and Southbends are great rods. The Heddon Black Beauty is a highly sought after rod. Today's bamboo enthusiast definitely prefers rods that are no longer than 8 1/2 feet. Therefore, a 9 ft rod will not command as much as an 8 or 8 1/2ft rod, everything else being equal.

The Zhu rods are Chinese made, and are relatively new on the market. The jury is still out on them. The majority of the detractors are those who are making bamboo rods for the market. It just depends upon who you ask, as to the answer you will get.

The ideal site for posting your questions is: classicflyrodforum.com; and don't be either surprised or shocked by some of the responses you will get.

If you can put your hands on a copy of Michael Sinclair's book "BAMBOO ROD RESTORATION HANDBOOK", the basic information contained therein will be most enlightening and helpful in your ultimate choice of rods.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 09-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.