It depends on which model of Montague one is discussing. Montague, H & I, South Bend and others made low end rods that most of us wouldn't care for. They also all made some very good rods. The South Bend 323 comes immediately to mind, and the South Bend 290 I bought from bobbyg. The H & I Tonka Queen and Prince are pretty darn good rods.

A few years ago I took what I thought was a chance on a 7', 2/1, 4 wt. from a little outfit called Pocket Water Rods, now out of business. For $200.00 I couldn't resist it as it was such a pretty little rod. That is almost the best $200.00 I ever spent on a rod, it is simply put, delightful. So your thoughts on an "unknown" maker certainly have merit, especially if the maker started with a good blank.

I think I saw where someone mentioned a return policy on ordered rods, good advice. Unless one has great experience with cane sticks I don't believe one can know whether he will like a rod until one has actually cast it. The advice about bamboo casting more slowly should also be taken. Personally, I much prefer bamboo to anything else but it is a matter of taste.

I would agree with bobbyg, spend some time at clarks. Here's a link.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php