+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the two piece quality rod a thing of the past.

Hybrid View

I haven't used a top of the line rod (i.e., expensive) but I have found the TFO rods to do what their info says they will at a moderate price. They have a 2 piece 5 weight.

oldfrat has it right. With todays materials and manufacturing advances the old saw of more ferrels making the rod stiff is just not true.
    Also there will be a time when the portability of a 4 (or more) piece rod will prove to be a blessing.
    I do carry my rods as one would a 2 piece rod when fishing locally so I can get back in the water faster.

Jack, I'm like you in that regard. The one disadvantage of a multi-piece rod is that it takes more time to set up for fishing. But I carry my rods to fishing in an interior rod rack, all set up and ready to go. I'm currently using a commercial interior rod rack a good friend gave me for this because my current car doesn't lend itself to a DIY solution. Previously, DIY interior rod racks made from bungee cords and hooks have done just fine.

First off, I'm not buying into the premise that a multiple piece rod is not more subject to fracture; and that it's performance equals a two piece (all things being equal). Maybe, too, there's a physiological factor. But in my experience the two piece performs better and to that end I've sold off the multiple piece rods on eBay - except I still have a 3 piece that rides in a case behind the seat in my truck. When I travel to far away places by air I ship the two piece in a rod case and a section of PVC pipe, either by mail or UPS, which always arrives and returns in great shape.

Heck try finding a small stream one piece rod! Unless you pay a rod maker or make a single piece banty from an old rod you can forget about it. I too prefer less ferrules if for no other reason than the rod just looks better to me with fewer ferrules.

Nighthawk,

About 1 piece rod:
    Quite a few years ago I was fortunate to win the 'Monthly Prize' here on FAOL. It was a 1 piece, 6' 5wt, bamboo fly rod made by Farlow of England(?). It was a copy of the rod personally prefered by Lee Wulff. Not sure if it's still being made. You may wnt to check.

Allan

Thomas,

There has been a great decline in the number of 2 piece rods being manufactured. I've read many times that the newer construction style of rods negates any performance differences between 4 piece and 2 piece rods. I don't have any preference of a 2 piece or multiple piece rod. I own plenty of both.....probably more 2 piece rods than anything else. I usually drive to where I am fishing, so breakdown length really hasn't been an issue for me. Maybe I'd give the 2 piece an edge for being easier to set up and break down....and maybe a little more peace of mind while fishing. Less to go wrong and less to worry about.

All of the big-name, high-end rod manufacturers have moved to 4 piece rods. A few years back, you could get the newest rod in either a 2 piece or a 4 piece. The Sage XP is a great example of this. But now they have the Sage VXP and it is only available in 4 pieces. I dont think that Sage sells a new rod that is 2 pieces. I also didn't see any T&T 2 piece rods. Orvis has some 2 piece rods available in their Access series of rods to go along with the 4 piece counterpart. And the 2 piece is the same price as the 4 piece.

So it seems that the big manufacturers don't believe that there is any difference in performance. I don't know if it's just a trend or if it's here to stay. I would guess the latter.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Nighthawk,

About 1 piece rod:
    Quite a few years ago I was fortunate to win the 'Monthly Prize' here on FAOL. It was a 1 piece, 6' 5wt, bamboo fly rod made by Farlow of England(?). It was a copy of the rod personally prefered by Lee Wulff. Not sure if it's still being made. You may wnt to check.

Allan
    Allan thanks so much for your kind response. Unfortunately with my disability retirement looming closer than ever now, medical bills piling up, trying to keep two older cars on the road, I am not going ot be buying any rods soon. All this going on along with the fact that I can no longer fly fish I will more than likely be selling what gear I have as opposed to buying.

Not that I have anything spectacular to sell.

Sorry, didn't intend to hi-jack the thread.

+ Reply to Thread