+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the two piece quality rod a thing of the past.

Hybrid View

Default Is the two piece quality rod a thing of the past.

As I searched for a 8' 5 weight in a two piece rod I quickly found out that I had little to no choice in a high quality factory built rod,all I could find were Mega piece "travel" rods offered.Has the companies the great notion that everyone will be traveling to far off destinations?I thought there were hard times now with few people taking expensive trips.Or is this just a trend and the good old two piece rods will return once again.
    Always heard less ferrels less troubles more sensitivity in two pieces,wonder how a solid rod would feel?

I can't speak to quality comparisons. I switched to multi-piece rods for a number of reasons. They cast just fine. They are way easier to store and to carry for travel. They don't seem to carry much of a price premium. I can't think of any reason to prefer a 2-piece rod, but that is just me.

I haven't used a top of the line rod (i.e., expensive) but I have found the TFO rods to do what their info says they will at a moderate price. They have a 2 piece 5 weight.

oldfrat has it right. With todays materials and manufacturing advances the old saw of more ferrels making the rod stiff is just not true.
    Also there will be a time when the portability of a 4 (or more) piece rod will prove to be a blessing.
    I do carry my rods as one would a 2 piece rod when fishing locally so I can get back in the water faster.

Jack, I'm like you in that regard. The one disadvantage of a multi-piece rod is that it takes more time to set up for fishing. But I carry my rods to fishing in an interior rod rack, all set up and ready to go. I'm currently using a commercial interior rod rack a good friend gave me for this because my current car doesn't lend itself to a DIY solution. Previously, DIY interior rod racks made from bungee cords and hooks have done just fine.

First off, I'm not buying into the premise that a multiple piece rod is not more subject to fracture; and that it's performance equals a two piece (all things being equal). Maybe, too, there's a physiological factor. But in my experience the two piece performs better and to that end I've sold off the multiple piece rods on eBay - except I still have a 3 piece that rides in a case behind the seat in my truck. When I travel to far away places by air I ship the two piece in a rod case and a section of PVC pipe, either by mail or UPS, which always arrives and returns in great shape.

Not at all. I've bought several two piece cane rods new this year.
    Bob

For my purposes I only look for a 8' in 5 weight or a 7 1/2 in four weight and try and buy in 2 piece form.If I see one of two older brands show on eBay I make sure I am the winner by putting a $1000.00 bid up to make sure that's enough.
    I.have wondered on building a one piece on a loomis SR series spinning blank.As for keeping the rods assembled in rod racks.in the vehicle why buy multi piece at a higher cost?As you see with my rod lengths two piece models are harder to find as compared nine foot models.

I will make any practical length rod you want in either two piece or one piece. It will be in bamboo. Hollow built bamboo is very comfortable to fish all day all the time.

I believe there is a weight difference between 2 and 4 pc. rods. The 2 pc .will be a tad lighter and cast a bit differently.

Most stress type rod breaks occur at a ferrule, just above the female ferrule. This is due to the fact that a ferrule does not distribute the force equally but centers it at the convex point of the female ferrule. A ferrule must also resist twisting force which will loosen a ferrule. As the ferrule loosens, this become a "hinge" point and the upper section fails. This is why many spey rod caster actually tape their ferrules. Their casts loosen the ferrules and the rods are so long, it becomes a hassle to check them.

Fewer ferrule means fewer ferrule failures. I once broke both of my two 4 pc Sage fly rods at exactly the same place, just above the middle ferrule during a two day fishing trip. Just remember to check that the ferrules are tight. I have found that as the ferrule loosens, the rod gets less responsive.

http://www.springbrook.ca/images/TFOFLYRODWARRANTY.pdf

"Loose ferrules will also result in breakage. Regularly check the joints throughout the day to ensure they are tight. If they are constantly loosening, apply a very light rub of white candle wax to the male section...... To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended."

http://americanangler.com/technique/busted

"5. UNSEATED FERRULES

Another easily avoided rod breaker is an unseated ferrule, which is like a time bomb, says Johnson: It's an almost surefire way to break a fly rod. 'The ferrule sections loosen up during casting, and if a fisherman does not reseat those sections, they will eventually break,' warns Jim West. 'It happens all the time.'

If you are casting weighted flies, sinking lines, or a Spey rod, it's imperative that you check your ferrules regularly. The constant stresses and twisting action of casting will inevitably loosen those fragile connections."

The top over tip ferrule and the spigot ferrule systems have decreased the stiff spot but have not eliminated them. If a caster is given a random 2 vs a 4 pc. rod to cast, most would not be able to tell. However, I do believe that if a fly fisher has use a 2 pc. rod for years and you blind fold him and have him cast his 2 pc. vs a 4 pc. version of his rod, that most would be able to tell. It is a question of muscle memory. I think there is a difference in how these rods cast but the difference is small and requires a practiced hand to tell the difference.

For practical reasons, I use mainly 4 pc. rods but I have older 2 pc. rods that I also use. Whether a 2 pc. or 4 pc. makes you a more effective fly fisher is debatable. In an actual fishing situation, I don't think it matters. The fly caster will compensate for the slight difference.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread