+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the two piece quality rod a thing of the past.

I though that I read that Hardy was introducing one piece graphite rods into their lineup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Nighthawk,

About 1 piece rod:
    Quite a few years ago I was fortunate to win the 'Monthly Prize' here on FAOL. It was a 1 piece, 6' 5wt, bamboo fly rod made by Farlow of England(?). It was a copy of the rod personally prefered by Lee Wulff. Not sure if it's still being made. You may wnt to check.

Allan
    Allan thanks so much for your kind response. Unfortunately with my disability retirement looming closer than ever now, medical bills piling up, trying to keep two older cars on the road, I am not going ot be buying any rods soon. All this going on along with the fact that I can no longer fly fish I will more than likely be selling what gear I have as opposed to buying.

Not that I have anything spectacular to sell.

Sorry, didn't intend to hi-jack the thread.

In the shop I have been helping run for the last few years 4, 5, and 6 piece rods out sell 2 pc rods at a rate of more than 20 to 1. In the last year it is more than 50 to 1.

Most people want the rods with shorter sections because the transport easier. Many have switched from driving trucks or SUVs to smaller cars on many of their trips and 4pc rods fit better. I can't even get a 9ft 2pc rod into the trunk of my compact car.

Today's 4pc rods perform better than 2pc rods from 15 years ago. At one time you paid a premium for rods with more than 2 pieces but not so much today. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years 2pc rods have become very rare.

When I see a 7'6" 4 weight multi piece outperform my loomis glx 2 PC I'll believe it.

As for the two piece hexagraph nice looking rod and design but has metal ferrels.I see they make a small stream one piece in 2-4 weight to six foot three inches.
    Last edited by Thomas; 09-22-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add note

As far as I can tell it's a matter of taste, preference and convenience. For me, my taste and preferences are for two piece rods and transporting them is not inconvenient. I've driven a pick-up as my primary vehicle for close to 40 years and don't see that changing in the future.

All that being said, I still prefer two-piece rods. My thinking is that the more parts, the more problems. I guess it stems from the fact that I once had a four-piece rod that had two bad ferrules and was a constant problem. That was long ago and I imagine they've improved.

I think this really is, "Much to do about nothing". It's obviously easier to travel with smaller rod case, thus 4 and more sections. Since many fly fisherman fish in destinations requiring air travel and clamored for rods that are easy to carry and store the manufacturers seized on that and began marketing these multi section rods. Whether the number of sections does or does not effect performance matters not (and I have absolutely no idea), it was/is probably more lucrative for the manufacturers to mass produce one style over the other. Also, say you've got several 2 piece rods, not an outlandish number, and you were set. Now, with good marketing campaigns, it may be possible to convince you to buy yet a new 4 piece rod that previously you had no intention or need for.
    There's definitely a benefit insofar as travel. Are the multipiece rods as good or better then the 2 piece when it comes to performance? Guess you'll have to spend the money to find out. And, that's exactly what the manufacturers want you to do.

Allan

*hijack alert*

Had a bush take the tip section of a Z Axis. What made it worse was the $120 it cost to replace a BLANK section. This never happened with a 2 pc.

(I found the lost tip a week after I finished the replacement!)

+ Reply to Thread