+ Reply to Thread

Thread: East TN fishing "trio" today

Default East TN fishing "trio" today

I've had some rough days thus far in my limited fly fishing career. The Clinch River and Smoky Mountain National park have been my "home" waters, and I rarely catch anything. The last few trips have changed that, thanks to some help from a few fellow fly fishers.

So this morning, I started on the Clinch and after a bit moved up to the "kiddie pool" below the dam where there are lots of trout, but normally pretty small. I caught quite a few, mostly less than 8 inches long. Both rainbows and browns, with the last brown being the first time I've had to use my net. I didn't measure it, but it's the largest fish I've caught on a fly rod so far.

I went, had lunch with my wife, and then made a snap decision to run down to the Smokies. I fished the Tremont creek, an area I've been skunked before. For the first time, I started "seeing" the stream. If I figured there was a fish behind a rock, I'd normally get a strike. I ended up with two brookies about 4" each. Not much, but still fish.

I'll work on size next time, but for this trip I'm stoked that I caught all 3 species in one day, and I was able to catch fish on two different waters that have given me so much trouble. I think all that work I've been doing on casting is starting to pay off.

Congratulations, isn't it great? The casting is a big help, but it also sounds like you are 'reading' the water. Keep at it, it just keeps getting better.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Good job 92Esquire, I fish the same home waters as you and I have never been able to do what you did. John

------------------
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

+ Reply to Thread