+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Popper Box

The box I use is a box by feather-craft called the meat locker at 10x6.5x3.25 and has slit foam that holds flies to a size 8/0!
    It also has a slot suffice on the outside to dry or hold flies while on a boat.I keep mine in a camp fanny pack that has a.web belt and snap buckle strap.

That's a great idea!
    Thanks

One other option is to go to Michael's and buy a Recollections brand box which is shaped exactly like a bugger barn with sliding latches. The box is $6. Glue in a couple of properly shaped pieces of 3mm sheet foam and you have a box capable of holding 18 gurglers tied on a #2 hook (I know because i just filled one for an upcoming presentation. fly boxes.jpg

I found some boxes at Wal-Mart in the kids section used for cryaons and pencils for about 1.00 ea. Then went to the dollar store and got some thick foam from the craft area, used to make door signs that hang on the door knob for about a buck. I got home and glued them in with contact cement and they work great for my striper and bass flies. Total cost about 7.00

Bass, I got the exact same box, but used some cheaper foam. Works pretty good!

Doesn't anyone use Altoids boxes anymore?
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

Altoids boxes are great, but a little small for those 4/0 hooks on the bigger flies.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Altoid boxes are great! I keep hooks, sinkers, small screws and fasteners, and jig-heads in them. With a little foam, they make outstanding boxes for nymphs and midges. I keep my mp3 player in one. Just for fun, I have even, made a small transistor radio out of one, with kit parts from Radio Shack. You can glue a magnet to the back, and they make a great hide-away box for car keys, money...whatever. Also, when you glue a magnet to the back, it keeps tiny screws and fasteners from rolling around and bouncing while you are working. I use them with a magnet to hold my air rifle pellets (easily fits into a pocket), slingshot ammo, and muzzzle-loader roundballs (up to .50 cal), while I'm in the field. There are thousands of uses for them.

To be honest...I buy Altoids (instead of Icebreakers) just for the boxes. I also buy certain brands of margarine, just for the tubs, and things that come in glass jars over plastic, just for the glass jars. I re-use everything I can. It's part of the value of the entire product.

I know I am weird, but I am OK with it.......

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I carry one of these for my poppers: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...g#.UG8MxK61ySo and it resides in my bag or at times on the boat. For my vest I carry a couple of the larger, green Bonnand boxes for big streamers, boogers and poppers. When I arrive at the fishing hole, I select the ones I'll be using that day and take from the bigger box to fill the vest box. For most of my streamers I use the Shimano Worm ziplocks in a small notebook sized bag approach.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread