+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting better at being a beginner

find a bluegill pond. You will laugh with joy at the first tug.

Dear LeTort Run,

Gardenfish's post above is excellent advice. Nothing beats bluegills for getting the hang of feeling a strike and hooking a fish.

It's still a little early for them now, but by mid-April you should be able to find some active 'gills. I'm not sure where you are from, but several lakes in Cumberland County are stocked with trout and have good panfish populations too. Once trout season opens head out to Pine Grove Furnace State Park with some wet flies. Practice casting and retrieving those wets and you'll probably get some trout and will surely get some bluegills. Oppossum Lake is another place worth trying.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I too had this problem when I first started. The only advice I have is persistance. I caught a few early on, but when the caddis fly hatch came to my local water, i caught quite alot. I even outfished my dad who was slinging bait a few times during that hatch.

Good luck and be patient.
    Ben

if they arent hitting what you can see, but are still rising, try adult midges or emerging midges on or near the surface. right now, at least out here, fish are getting really active, even though the "big" hatches (ie:caddis, brown mayflies, etc.) are still a month or two away. that means theyll readily take a midge when theyre hatching, even more so than during the cooler winter months.

also, if youve got the right fly, and are getting "glances" but not takes, check your drift. flip a subtle upstream mend to prevent drag. if the water is real fast, flip a less-subtle mend. typically if fish are looking, the fly is close enough. if they are turning it down, its probably the drift (unless youre fishing really picky fish where more exact matching is necessary).

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi LetortRun,

I think that Gardenfish has a great idea. Don't give up on the trout but take a little break. Ask around you home area and find out where you can fish a good farm pond or two. Several dozen brim and a few good bass will boost your spirits and give you some hands on experience with some real fish. Also, from everything I have read, the Letort, your namesake stream, is a major challenge even for fly fishing experts with years of experience. It is clearly not the best place for a beginner to start chasing trout. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

LeTortRun, I was in the same position that you are finding yourself in not long ago. I quit fishing for trout for a few years and concentrated on bass and other panfish. Of course, since I live in Kansas, this was almost decided more for travel reasons than for my inability to catch fish.
    Now whenever I am trout fishing, I use a small dropper fly behind a dry fly, when it is legal of course. A small (#20-1 PT nymph, or a hare's ear seems to improve my chances. Good Luck and don't give up.

Letort Run,

I visited Carlisle last year and took the opportunity to employ a guide. A bloke by the name of Mike Heck, very impressive. However if you don't wish to go to that expense, then take "Bamboozle" 's advice and get yourself over to the yellow run out of Children's lake. Even I caught fish there. It was nice and clear and allowed me to consider when fish were rejecting the fly. Initial suggestions would be sow bugs or similar, down on/near the bottom and an indicator.

R

dave

Letort,
    I too had that problem of no fish for quite a while when I started. Now I can't remember if it was months or years, but it was for sure.

Three suggestions.
    1. Find/hire a good guide for a day, tell them your problem and have them guide you through to where you get the knowledge you need to hook up without them.

2. THe short line nymphing that was suggested above, using a pheasant tail ro hares ear nymph. They are as close to universal as you can find.

3. Find a beaver pond that is not fished much (or at all). They usually hold lots of smaller fish that are not too difficult to catch. It might be a good starting place to get some confidence.

4. Search the web for hatch charts in your area. That can give you an idea of what fly to use when.

5. Go to your local FAOL Fish-in. We'll help you!

good luck

Letort run I live in Boiling Springs, Pa about 5 miles from Carlisle. I would be happy to chat with you about fishing and maybe we could learn a few things together. I've been fishing these waters for over 25 years. shoot me an email at bamboo@pa.net
    Best,
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread