+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish Attractants

Hybrid View

Default Fish Attractants

I read the article about fish attractants. I have just gotten back from a class on how to Fly Fish for trout, this was a really good idea by the way. I was told that on catch and release rivers one should not use fish attractants because the trout swallow the fly making the release part very difficult. Any thoughts?

Depends on the fly, I'd think. Floating flies, you usually set the hook too quickly for a swallow. Sinking flies by the time you detect the strike, the fly could be swallowed. But on catch and release only, the possibility of a fatality because of a swallowed fly probably should be avoided.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

I debated on whether or not to respond, but, decided I would. Let's understand one thing up front and that is that the following comments are my opinions and nothing more.

If the class you attended on how to fly fish for trout recommended that one should use a fish attractant on the flies then I do not think much of the class because a fly presented properly does not need a fish attractant applied to it to induce the trout to strike it. Matter of fact, there are some "fly only" water that you could receive a pretty good fine for using the attractant.

If you are just starting out with fly fishing I honestly feel you will get more satisfaction from learning to present your flies correctly to catch your fish. If you really want to use a fish attractant on your flies, then I would recommend that you stick with the spinning rod and use worms and corn. If you want a challenge then learn to tie your own flies and learn how to present them to the fish and enjoy the accomplishment.

The above are just my opinions and are not meant to offend anyone and I do not feel the need to defend myself on how I feel. To each their own.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Very well said. You are a wise, young sage.

I had a lot of fun writing that article but must confess, I have never used attractant for trout. Given the nature of trout waters, the effectiveness of attractant to lure fish would undoubtedly be significantly reduced.
    On the other hand, I still believe the following (from the article) does lend creedence to the need for covering human or petroleum scents.
    What replaced nature is nylon based threads, chemically processed fiber dubbing and chenille, plastic and metal tinsel and hair, rubber and silicone l egs, foam, wire, glues and varnishes. None of these smell like fish food and many contain smells that repel bass and bluegill. Gasoline is reputed to be the most repulsive, followed closely by solvents — like those found in glue and head cement. Of course there is the amino acid L-Serine, found in humans and immediately identifiable as a bad thing by bluegill and bass. Human skin emits L-Serine odor and can (inevitably will) transfer this to a modern fly. The result is, when bad things combine, the fly might actually repel fish.
    For warmwater fishing, I find attractants can make a significant difference in catching success. Most recently I had panfish refuse a known producer fly i tied and finished with CA glue. After putting on a small spray of garlic attractant I caught three large male bluegill in the same spot that refused to produce a bite. Because I like catching more than fishing (see my other articles) that's the kind of result I like to see.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I understand the point about catching fish but don't agree about the attractant. After all, that's what fishing is all about, good days and bad days. Now I am no expert by any means when it comes to FF but, I do catch my share of fish. I most fish small streams for natives and usually catch atleast one everytime I go out, all without attractant. I also came from RI and not many streams to fish so most of my time fishing were in lakes and I used spinning gear and caught more fish than I can count, again without the need for attractant. I remember the first week fly fishing and tied up a Jassid. I caught 26 Brook Trout that day. I think it comes down to finding what the fish wants rather that fooling it into taking something it normally wouldn't have just to catch fish. That is in my opinion what fishing is all about.

These are my own personal feeling and are not meant to belittle or offend anyone who does not follow my way of think. To each his own. I would still fish with you.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by scotthen View Post
    I was told that on catch and release rivers one should not use fish attractants because the trout swallow the fly making the release part very difficult. Any thoughts?
    I don't necessarily by that premise, it presupposes that the angler is not a witting participant to the take and set. This is fly fishing where we normally use one closely attended rod at a time. Not two rods, in rod holders plunged into the bankline with bells on their tips and a load of Captian America Cheese Whiz gobbed on a treble hook.

As an aside, many of the scents sold, are masking agents and not fish attractants as advertised.

Depending on where you happen to be standing at the moment, Catch & Release waters can have many meanings. In some jurisdictions what are commonly referred to as catch and release waters might be officially listed as " Single Barbless, Artificials Only and Zero Limit ". In some cases the use of an attractant on a fly in an area like that, could get some unwanted attention from a state employee whose there to check your license and flies for barbs, who then will be asking for your autograph.
    Read your Regs and ask questions of the local wardens, they're happier answering questions than writing citations.

Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 09-17-2012 at 08:11 PM.

I love reading this information, me, I just want to have fun and not kill fish. I think it comes from getting old.

It's against the law in "artificials only" (not just C&R) waters in many states.
    Bob

When I think of attractant I alway remember buying some salmon egg spray years ago. My brother in law and I were using plastic grubs for bream, crappie and bass. For some reason I was catching fish without the spray but my BIL was not. So we sprayed his grub and he caught a night bluegill on the next cast. Every 8 to 10 cast he would have to spray his grub, as CoachBob said he was probably covering up something on his lure. Later we saw the parents of a good friend out in their boat and my BIL told Mrs. C to let him spray her grub. The next cast she caught a turtle. I don't think she has ever forgiven or let him forget that. She was sure it was a turtle attractant.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread