+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions on Nymph Patterns for upcoming Cold Water Season?

Hybrid View

Default Suggestions on Nymph Patterns for upcoming Cold Water Season?

Hello everyone,

I just got in to Fly Fishing a couple months ago, and started tying just a few weeks after that.

I've been able to keep myself well-supplied with Hoppers, Wooly Buggers, and Streamers so far this Summer.

I've already started thinking about later this year. I'm planning on switching production over to patterns that will help me catch fish. I am primarily a warm-water fisherman, chasing various Sunfish, Black Bass, Stripers/Wipers/Whites, etc. This Winter, I will also have a shot at some stocked Rainbows, as the town I live in stocks a small lake every Winter.

I have already started tying some Orange Nymphs from the FOTW, along with a couple variants. I just got done tying some Brassies.

Any other suggestions? Any trout fishing will be done in still water, or very little current should it rain heavily for a day or two (we need it!!!)

There is a reason they are standards..... tie up pheasant tail nymphs and hares ears. I like em with bead head and a flashback.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

For stillwater, I would go with Pheasant tails, Buzzers and a nice bright red blood worm. Fished static or with a very slow twitchy retrieve.
    All the best.
    Mike

A super easy to tye fly that has been good to me is the Bream Killer, chenille body, rubber legs at mid body, squirrell tail wing, I usually tye it on a size 8 or 10 aberdeen, sometimes I add a little lead wire or tye it on a 1/124 oz jig
    .Bream_KrystalKillerNGTO.jpg
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 09-11-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: add photo
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

In cooler water of Fall, a 1/80 oz Springbrook Wunder microjig in either all black, or chartreuse, or silver or gold chenille body work GREAT for bluegills and crappies under an indicator.

For Nymphs, I'll suggest Ian Colin James' "Muncher" nymph.

For stocked trout, its REALLY hard to go wrong with a #10 Beadhead Woolly Bugger....olive chenille body, black marabou tail and black hackle. This almost ALWAYS catches fish. But sometimes a streamer with gold or silver metallic flash or body can be outstanding. Sometimes a streamer like a Blue Thunder can be good:
    http://about-flyfishing.com/library/weekly/aa021502a.htm

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

For stocked fish in still water ponds, a collection of thread midges (e.g. "zebra midge") would serve you well. Try black or red thread bodies with silver wire ribs. You can either use brass beads for heads, or just glass beads (e.g. clear with silver lining). These will work on panfish too.

+ Reply to Thread