Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
I am surprised at the number of people who will use a wading staff on larger streams but not small streams. All it takes is one round rock that turns under your weight. If you fall in knee deep water, you get wet. If you fall in ankle deep water you break bones. I always have a staff - and not one of the ones that is useless when folded in a holster. Solid wood, whether broomstick, rake handle, shovel handle, hoe handle. I've used 'em all because it is cheaper make a new one (roughly $10) than to check one as luggage ($25). Strong enough to pry my boot out from between rocks (twice) or put my full weight on if I lose my balance, and it never comes apart when the tip is in rocks or mud. I use a Gear Keeper to tether it to a belt loop. The Gear Keeper is essentially a big zinger which has enough reach so I can use the staff, is strong enough to keep it from floating away, but not so strong that it's hard to pull against. http://www.tenkarabum.com/gear-keeper.html

Whatever staff you use, and whatever tethering method you use, I would highly recommend using a staff all the time when in any stream.

Attachment 11025
I agree totally. Even shore fishing some of the 1,000s of small lakes here in the Uinta's. I was wishing I had brought my wading staff Sat. As for the Zinger, I had a nice one but alas, it was made of plastic...Plastic breaks! Now I use metal although, there can be a rust issue if you don't shop around. Really bummed mine broke!