+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to carry and fish using a wading staff?

Default Best way to carry and fish using a wading staff?

How to you guys carry and fish while using wading staff?

I made a staff from the butt of an old broken fiberglass rod with a foot from a heavy steel punch. I tethered it to my wading belt with a six foot dog leash. I carried it twice and found that it was always tangled in my legs or my fly line. Now I carry a folstaff collapsed in its holster on my belt. It still tangles the line once in while but I can live with it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I carry a Folstaff in a holster while walking. I extend the Folstaff and use a magnetic net holder to keep the handle attached to my wading belt while fishing. That way I can grab and use the staff rapidly if needed. I have permanently numb feet and need a wading staff more than most, so this fast deployment is important to me.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would either tether it as proposed in the previous answer or, you could put a strap on it and sling it over your shoulder while fishing, like a sling pack.

I have a staff made from a golf ball go getter. I left it long enough to handle any water I was likely to encounter and attach it with a curly cord and made a big clip like on a ballpoint pen that I put on my wader belt. Seems to work pretty good.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use one of these
    http://www.fishusa.com/Pro-Line-Coll...g-Staff_p.html
    I wear it in the holster to the river but when in the river I leave it hang but I have it attached to a larger Key Zinger
    http://www.das.com.au/en-au/Products...-key-holder-ch

I am tall (and wide) and have a large wading staff that is big enough to have a crutch rubber foot on the bottom. The solution I found was to create a shoulder strap and carry it across my back when i am wading to the fishing spot. If i need a wading staff while fishing I should not be standing where I'm standing.
    Last edited by CoachBob; 09-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.

I loved my folding staff until the bungee started going out...then I hated it with an undying passion...funny, I don't have that problem with my solid staff.
    I carry it on a SCUBA retractor...heavier duty cord and spring. I switch it to my downstream side as necessary, at wading belt level.

Whatever the staff, the current vibration is annoying
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Mine has a weighted end that sinks and keeps the staff pretty much where I put it; I loop the cord around my body or over my shoulder; seems to work for me.

Last edited by Prairieschooner; 09-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    How to you guys carry and fish while using wading staff?
    I use a 30 yo Folstaf. The end of the Folstaf cord is attached to a french clip

I also have a dual D ring that is a part of a velcro hook and loop system. The upper D ring is on the hook portion and can be removed and the lower D ring is integrated into the loop section. This is sewn on the lower left side of my fishing vest.

When I deploy my Folstaff I clip the end of it to the permanent D ring with the french clip so I can let the staff go. It will remain attached to my vest. I release the staff if I want to tie on a fly or use my landing net, etc.

The other D ring is attached to the handle of my net by a coiled net holder. The top of my net is attached to the by a magnetic net release to the D ring on the top rear of my vest.

This double D ring system allows me to drop either my net or my wading staff and they will remain attached to my vest. I can never lose my net if it gets hung up by a tree branch and falls off while walking to or along the river. Yet I can use the Velcro release to free it from my vest if I want to let my fishing partner use it.

I bought this Double D ring system at a fly shop but it has been years since I have seen it for sale. It can be easily made with plastic D rings and velcro webbing.

In the photo below you can see the two D rings. The net is attached to the up one that is attached by velcro and the lower on is the one that is permanent and used for the wading staff.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread