+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Life jackets

Default Life jackets

Any thought about life jackets that double as fishing vests?
    Last edited by scotthen; 09-13-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I think they're a great idea if you're fishing dangerous water.

Wondered about this myself. Getting older and a bit worried about fishing alone. What about the inflatable ones?

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    What about the inflatable ones?
    The inflatable pfd's are very comfortable but you are going to have to find the ripcord and be able to pull it. With an automatic actuator you are going to get actuation if you slip and get it wet. A local friend had one stored in his garage that actuated from ambient humidity. I had an incident last year where I reached for my cord and did not find it immediately and went back to kicking and clawing until I encountered land. I ahve since added a much large and I hope easier to find, fob on the end of the actuator cord. THe version I have has 4 nice sized pockets each large enough to hold a flybox but it is not really a vest.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

There are some auto-inflatable pfd's that don't inflate when they just get wet. They require a change in pressure from a few inches of water. They are supposed to be a lot more reliable than those that activate from just being wet. They are a lot more expensive and I don't think they are made in a fishing vest model.

Ted

When I was a lot younger there were a couple of fellows that were supposed to be "top paddlers" in the coutry that drowned on easy rivers. Looking at stats on easy rivers most of the drownings are people that were drinking with out life jackets. If the canoe flips self rescue is SO much easier with a life jacket. Finally if I'm in the water I would like to hang on to my rod/reel which is difficult if swiming with hands

Quote Originally Posted by scotthen View Post
    Finally if I'm in the water I would like to hang on to my rod/reel which is difficult if swiming with hands
    Last year I flipped my Fishcat float tube, a very stable platform, I can assure you my fishing rods were not thought of untils sometime down stream. I lost two in a very few seconds. I have since learned a very small amount of white water can have a very large force behind it.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If you are in fairly good shape, and can swim ... then I'd recommend one of the inflatable "life belts". They aren't considered adequate fro boating, but they will float you long enough to reach shore from a slip in the river. When I am wade fishing, I also have a floating key fob attached to my rod/reel. They are available at any marine store like West Marine or Boats USA. They will float a fishing rod, although they can get drug under in snag thick water.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

Not really a fan. All that crap jutting out can catch and hinder your re-entry or snag on strainers. Keep your pfd streamlined. Even my whistle is on a very short piece of line on my shoulder strap. No knives or any crap on the outside. I'll put a small box inside my shirt pocket under my pfd or toss it on the floor of the ham if not in my milk crate.

+ Reply to Thread