Local auction house held its on-line auction today. One of the auctions was for 1.5 million flies running from .05 to .30/fly for western trout fishing types of flies. A distributor closed up shop. I don't know if it was a creditor sale but I think it was. All, I mean all, kinds of flies for different species. I went in on purchases with my fishing buddies. I got to the warehouse to inspect them yesterday. Everything was in lots. Most everything was boxed so I didn't get to see the majority of them. But the flies I saw were well (professionally) tied. The lots literally consisted of dozens of flies. We're talking 12 dozen of one fly, 20 dozen of another, different sizes, etc. Sometimes you'd get 150 dozen in one lot. It was overwhelming, especially as I got there late and didn't have the time to really examine the flies closely.

We were focusing on Rocky Mountain flies. My fishing partner who participated in the auction indicated it was competitive. They should've held this auction 20 years ago when I hadn't already gone hog wild with fly purchases. Without these new flies, I already have more flies than I'll ever use. I will probably try to sell extra dozens of each either here or on eBay. Otherwise I'll be happily giving away flies to strangers I meet on the river. Hey, I'll give you some flies if I can fish in this spot!