Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
I wasn't aware that casting distance was the bench mark for measuring fishing competence; in fact, didn't you say earlier that presentation is what's important? But whatever. Keep buying those hundred dollar fly lines; the economy needs the boost !
Yes the economy needs a boost, but fishing as much as I do, replacing floating lines every 2 years ends up about $60. So 5 years ago when I first got Sharkskin for my 5 wt., I paid $99. I'm still using that line, it floats as good as it did on day one.
So I feel like I let the economy down by not contributing that extra money (another year and it'll be another $60 if I was still replacing the same line. So, in 6 years, the less expensive line would have cost a total of $180. $80 more than what I paid initially for the SS. Cost effective for me. Plus, I false cast less, (which means the fly is on the water more than in the air), can use it on small streams or large rivers, and being as slick as it is, I can reach that fish I wasn't able to with other lines. In your last post to FG, you mentioned that you weren't aware that casting distance was the benchmark for measuring fishing compentence. It's not, but this line will improve your casting distance, so you need to realize you have to change a few things with your cast, mainly you use less effort to cast.
One of the biggest selling points for me is-THE TIP KEEPS FLOATING WITHOUT THE AID OF ANY KIND OF FLOATANT. But then since I've got the 5 wt. line, I had to get it in 3,4, and 6 wt. too.
But if peach is your bag and you've had it forever, good on you. Just stopped working for me many years ago and I found a better line- for me.
p.s. this line works well on every rod I have from bamboo, to old and modern glass, full flex Superfines to fast graphite. It's very non-bias towards your collection.