+ Reply to Thread

Thread: helpful tips??

Hybrid View

Default helpful tips??

im still kinda new to fly tying but i would like to learn patterns , what are good materials to use, and any helpful tips and tricks that may hep me to tie better than i do

Good place to start would be the Home Page - check out the Fly of the Week for specific patterns, the Tying Tips in the Flytying section. Also, just search through the forums and you'll find lots of good ideas to get you on your way. Youtube and Vimeo also have a ton of great videos that range from simple thread midges to full-dress salmon flies. Have fun.

Regards,
    Scott

thank you very much, ive been mainly tying wooly buggers and pheasant tail nymphs for my uncle for some time now and well i want to learn other patterns to get more of a wide range of fly tying

Your question is soooo broad that you could be overwhelmed with answers.
    Peacock feathers are possible my favorite material.
    Tail and body hair of animals with antlers.
    Feathers from almost all birds have potential, especially chicken, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, quail, woodcock, snipe, etc.
    Fur from a variety of small animals, rabbits, squirrels, etc. A good dubbing selection will last you for years.

Only use materials from animals that may be harvested legally sometimes during the year. For example it is not a good idea to use the feathers that fall out of birds around a bird feeder or a road kill hawk. But you probably knew that.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

i knew that but yea its just getting the materials for a good price that can me a hassle and also without a hunting licences im kinda limited

Blog Entries

fly Tying is a lot of fun, Kraft stores and walmart have many things to tie with, use your imagination, if your looking for inexpensive check out the TCTK http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...091007fotw.php

Look at the beginning fly tying section here on faol for basic skills,, go through the archives for material ideas. KWSU tv has a fly tying show, you can watch them on line. I would post a link but it is down right now. google kwsu and look on their web page in a few hours and you should be able to watch the videos.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

i get lots of free tying materials from folks i know that hunts but if i dont want the natural colours i have to dye the materials which can get a little messy but it aint too much troublefor free tying materials...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    i knew that but yea its just getting the materials for a good price that can me a hassle and also without a hunting licences im kinda limited
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread