+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goop/Toulene, Zylene

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    Please note that he is looking for it in LESS than gallon quantities. Acetone works to a certain extent, as it is a minor solvent, less than 10% as I recall; whereas, toluene and xylene are both solvents present in 35% or greater amounts, again based on recollection from a MSDS sheet on GOOP, making them primary solvents. The Big Box stores, at least in my area, no longer carry either in anything less than gallon cans. Not too long ago I could get it from them in quart cans.

Just another reason why I support my local hardware store, even though I may pay a few pennies more!
    Oops. My mistake.....I misread the post.
    Quarts of xylene (xylol) and toluene (toluol) can be found at most paint places and small hardware stores. Here's a quart of toluene at ACE:
    https://www.aceisyourplace.com/produ...e|1005842.html

You might experiment with acetone.....but it's a different animal than xylene or toluene.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

bgreer...

As noted in my earlier post that you quoted, I implied that acetone will work. However,being that it is a 'minor' solvent, it will not work as fast,or as well as either toluene or xylene. Save the acetone for dissolving Plexiglass for stabilization of soft and 'punky' wood before turning reel seat inserts from it.

The "Three Sisters" of aromatic organic compounds, and the simplest chemically, and in order of the most "hazardous" to the least, are: 1) Benzene; 1) Toluene; and, 3) Xylene. Benzene is the most reactive, the most flammable, and the most likely to cause harmful effects if one is over exposed to it. Next in line is Toluene, and last, but still a potentially hazardous substance, is Xylene. The greatest danger from all is their flammability. Treat them is if they are gasoline, and you should be fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I bought a quart can of Xylol at Sherwin Willaims just now. It was almost $10.
    OUCH!!! I can get a gallon for about $14.00!

OUCH!!! I can get a gallon for about $14.00!
    Yeah, but ya'll grow it down there.

Is Charlie's hamburgers still in business?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

So far I've been to Lowe's, Home Depot, A. C. Moore and Hobby Lobby and I can't find toulene. I found Xylene at Home Depot, but only in a gallon can. The only place I have left to look is Michael's Craft Store. Is it called "Toulene" or does it come under another name in the art department?
    I bought a quart of Toulene at WalMart. Laquer Thinner works pretty well as an alternative. Make sure you mix in well vented area and use a glass bottle with a tight cover for the mixture. Oh, put some petroleum jelly on the inside thread of the lid.

Allan

Wow! I wish someone would have mentioned a glass bottle. I mixed some last night and put it in a plastic container. This morning I found that it melted the bottom out. By the way, from the time I poured it from the can into a little plastic container the fumes were making me nauseous. That stuff must be powerful. Is it okay to keep the closed can in my apartment? I have a hobby room made out of the extra bedroom.
    Last edited by lastchance; 09-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Make sure you mix in well vented area and use a glass bottle with a tight cover for the mixture. Allan
    Most of us tend to underestimate the power of fumes from solvents. A old friend told me a story where a new house was being built during cool weather. The cabinet guy applied contact cement to the counter surfaces and the laminate to be installed late one afternoon and left it to dry. The first carpenter the next morning came in and started a fire in the fireplace. The next morning they started building the house again.

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse...

How about an approximate area in the Metropolitan Houston area for where Charlie's was(is?)? Was it also a B-B-Q place? All of this wil be of great help in answering your question. We do not have a Charlie's here in Katy.

'tis a shame the poor carpenter did not read my note on the flammability of such things before entering that house! Funny, though costly, story. Did the resultant explosion singe his eyebrows?

Bruce...

If you treat the stuff just like it was gasoline, you should have no storage problems. Anything less is risky. If the fumes bothered you that much, you might want to work with the opened container outside, rather than inside. Sorry about the mess!

Frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 09-13-2012 at 10:34 AM.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Use Ronson, or Zippo lighter fluid. It is naptha, and will work just fine. I make head cement from lighter fluid and Vyna Bond (it is cheap vinyl repair stuff, available at Walmart and Home Depot).

I bought a tube of Goop, but I can't find any toulene or zylene short of a gallon size, to thin it. Anyone have ideas?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Uncle Jesse... How about an approximate area in the Metropolitan Houston area for where Charlie's was(is?)? Was it also a B-B-Q place? All of this wil be of great help in answering your question. We do not have a Charlie's here in Katy.
    Frank
    Charlie's was a little SE of the intersection of I-10 and Highway 6 in Katy several years ago. A homey place with old barn board and a sign that said "Charlie's Hamburger, over 2 dozen served." They made a pretty good burger. It's been a while since I worked that area on a regular basis. I was responsible for the Crowne Plaza, now the Wyndham, for safety, security, fire prevention, etc., for several years.

+ Reply to Thread