+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing Colorado Springs Area

Default Fly Fishing Colorado Springs Area

I may be in the Colorado Springs area in late October/early November and would be interested in recommendations for fly fishing in the area, types of flies, etc.

Phil

I haven't fished down that way much, but here's a site that might give you useful info. http://www.bluequillangler.com/

Pat Dorsey is highly regarded as a fly fisher, tyer, and info source in Colorado.

Thanks, Oldfrat.

I bit to the south, the Arkansas basically parallels Hwy 50 between Salida and Pueblo. A great fly shop in Canon City is:

http://royalgorgeanglers.com/

Beautiful area. Not sure how the fishing is when you're there. That's never kept me from enjoying the water, though!

Phil,

Largely depends on how far you are willing to drive. Heading W out of Colorado Springs on US 24 will take you into Park County (about an hour - hour and 30 minutes) where you'll find the South Platte and a large number of state wildlife areas along the South Platte and it's tributaries. An excellent resource in Colorado Springs is Anglers Covey which is I believe one of the largest shops in Colorado Springs (and located right off US24 about a mile or so west of I25.

I fished the South Platte in July and water levels were extremely low and I'm not sure how much moisture they've had up in the high country since then, but a local shop should be able to direct you to the best fishing in that area. If you want some additional information please shoot me a PM and I'll fill in what blanks I can.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Quote Originally Posted by 4philbert View Post
    I may be in the Colorado Springs area in late October/early November and would be interested in recommendations for fly fishing in the area, types of flies, etc.

Phil
    Go to Eleven Mile Canyon. It's west of Colorado Springs, on US 24 past Woodland Park and Divide. It goes a ways and then south before you get to Lake George.

You can also continue west on US 24 to Spinney Mile (aka the Dream Stream) on the S. Platte R. I haven't fished it in years (now I've occasional access to private property below) but my recollection is that it was technical nymphing or a well presented BWO for large trout.

Here is the link to Pat Dorsey's fishing report.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Pat-D...Stream_Reports

Pick up breakfast and lunch in Woodland Park before heading up. The Donut Mill is the place to stop in for breakfast. Killer donuts, strudels, etc. You can buy stuff for lunch at the City Market or have sandwiches made at the deli.

Haven't fished the Arkansas R. in years (at 12 years). It was outrageous during the caddis hatch in spring but trout were cookie cutter browns. All same size around 13".

Late Oct/early Nov. - Midges (RS2's, WD40, Rojo midge, Juju B, BWO's, streamers!

Thanks to all for you input.

Flyfisher.....I need donuts like I need a hole in the head.

Ask around about where the fire damage was. There was quite a bit around the area, and they will probably get browner water in those areas after rains.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread