+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Channel Cats

There are a couple of excellent articles in the From Canada section on fishing for them, usually with nymphs and sight casting.

Catfish will hit a lot of different flies. We have caught them on rabbit streamers, Crayfish flies and one on a popper. They hit with murderous intent. one that I pretty sure was a cat that got away bent a size 4 2x strong hook (a crayfish imitation) into a 90 degree bend.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

They can also be taken on dry flies. Had a barber in my younger days who routinely caught them on dries at a certain time of the year, which I no longer recall. He also swore by the Herter's Beetle Backs for them. As these fish have apparently been stocked by TPWD, you might have decent luck with PFC (Purina Fish Chow) or PDF (Purina Dog Food) fly, and they resemble either fish pellets of dry dog food,which also resemble the pellets these fish were fed at the hatchery. To "tie" these flies, get a package, or two, or even three, of the 5MM brown pompoms at your favorite craft store, and impale one on a hook using super glue.

You can try 'chumming' the fish up by repeatedly hitting the water with your fly to simulate someone throwing a handful of fish chow onto the water. This commotion will often elicit a very strong feeding response out of 'fed' fish. When they begin to come to the surface, simply let your fly float. Sooner or later, one will take it. TRUST ME! (I am a fellow Texan!) Let out only enough line to get your fly over likely looking water, and 'have at it'.

Good Luck!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I usually fish in the tail-races below dams for catfish. I use a shooting taper, and a shad-colored Puglisi pattern. I spray it liberally with Smelly Jelly Shad Grease. I cast right into the gates and let it drift out. Strikes are vicious, and often as not, a Stripped Bass as often as a catfish. I also use crawfish patterns like this.

In slower water, I use a 1/2" Pom Pom (available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby). I soak it in Berkley's Catfish BaitMate scent and throw it out and let it drift. I also use a bare treble hook in open water, dipped in Danny Kings Punch Bait. You can also get Berkley's Catfish dough-bait, or Gulp Chicken Livers. They all work.

I have also threaded a live nightcrawler on a #8 Cricket Hook, and casted it out. You never know what is on the end of the line when something hits this. I have caught panfish, drum, carp, catfish, bass, nutria, and even water mocassins like this, sometimes all on the same trip. I also use shrimp, Catalpa Worms, minnows, salamanders, and live crawfish. Just cast it out and let it set, or drift.

I am ashamed to admit that I sometimes use live (or real organic) bait with a fly rod, but what can I say?...It works.

I never come home empty.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 09-14-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Mash up some chicken hot dogs--toss them out where the current if any will carry their scent out. Minnows will soon start hitting the hotdog pieces and the Channels will be drawn to the minnows and hot dogs--use a Muddler and hold on!
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread