Thread: I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Threaded View

Default I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Obviously many like new challenges and ideas on new ways to fish and fly fish. However, and with all due respect to the Japanese tradition, this type of fishing is not really new. Or at least it was typical but not necessarily with a specific name, when I was a kid fishing in country streams and rivers. Back then (1950s) it was just fishing with 'poles', line, hooks and bait or flies that we could afford. Typically that meant we bought inexpensive (cheap) 4 or 5 piece bamboo rods that were anywhere from 10 to 12 feet (maybe longer but I don't specifically recall). It had no handle, some type of ferrules and a tip top. We knotted a length of mono to the tip (length undetermined); wound any excess length of the mono (based on how high the bank was or depth of the fish) around the tip or spiraled up, down and back to the tip top; attached a hook and bait OR a fly and cast it to the fish. Historically, fly fishers even in the 1800s called something similar, but with specific fly fishing equipment, dapping. It's described in much of our angling literature. Even the idea of rods that 'telescope' is not new. I recall having one of metal. Of course things have changed and metal certainly gave way to other material but the idea is the same.
    So, have at it. Have fun. But please ...

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 09-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.