I agree with all answers, especially the one that goes, "There's no wrong way to fish one". Bass are notorious for NOT reading the books that tell us how to catch them.
When I am fishing anything like a streamer, my first couple of retrieves are always the same. (1) Strip the lure back to you as fast as you can. Even if it doesn't result in a hit, it seems to draw the fish's interest. (2) Then, on the third or fourth cast, I'll try to make it act like it's been injured. Quick jerks with pauses, but I am always pulling it towards me. (3) After a few retrieves like this, then I'll start dead sticking it. I'll let it sink and set until I can't stand to wait, then I count to 30, then I jerk it and wait again.

Here's my philosophy for this procedure. If there's a feeding fish beyond your target, (1) the bait fish are running from it. (2) Then bait fish that are a little too slow, but still got away, will be tired, perhaps injured. (3) Then will come the ones that got clobbered by the predator but were ignored while the predator swallowed others.