+ Reply to Thread

Thread: even more Wire Heads?

Default even more Wire Heads?

... folks have asked to see some more variations of Wire Heads so here's a few;

My WHPT size #16

WHPT standard pattern size #18

WH Copper John (Stone) size #14

WH Copper John size #16
    Note: all flies tied and photographed by Doug Korn
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Nice flies.

Doug -

All the wire heads you've posted are really neat flies. Almost makes me wish I still fished those kinds of flies. ( I used to, but don't anymore. ) Guess I'll have to stick to putting the wire under the chenile on the big stonefly nymphs.

John
    The fish are always right.

Nice!

John... having tried your chenille-bodied stonefly nymph...it definitely catches fish very well...and not just trout!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Doug -

All the wire heads you've posted are really neat flies. Almost makes me wish I still fished those kinds of flies. ( I used to, but don't anymore. ) Guess I'll have to stick to putting the wire under the chenile on the big stonefly nymphs.

John
    Yeah John, when I'm out West I use mostly bead headed flies because I want to get the flies down fast.... I use the Wire Heads on Spring Creeks and in some smaller creeks like the Northeast Corner of YNP.... (I don't use any lead in any of my flies) I use WH's for dropper flies like Golden Stone Fly Nymphs, Prince Nymphs, Copper Johns and PT's where you want some weight but not enough to pull your cricket or small hopper under...

I don't tie any Wire Heads for the shop... They don't look professional enough to sell there and it's easier for me to just use a bead when production tying thousands of flies!

BUT I do use a lot of Wire Heads here in NY and VA where the water is a bit slower and shallower....

Hey - ya gotta give the fish what they want, if it's your big stones, give it to them...
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

I have to give these a try. I like that idea of the "in between" weight with the bit of flash.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Interesting looking flies. I like will tie some of those for myself

+ Reply to Thread