+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Counterbalancing a rod / reel

Hybrid View

Default Counterbalancing a rod / reel

I just invested in a long European style nymphing rod -- 10' 4wt. Taking it out for a quick lawn cast session, I immediately noticed that it is quite tip heavy with either of my usual 4wt reels. I'm concerned that that may lead to fatigue while high stick nymphing and possibly casting issues.

It seems like the solution is to add some weight at or behind the reel to counterbalance the weight of the longer rod. Getting a larger, heavier reel is the obvious solution. However, I'm wondering if there are other solutions. Anyone dealt with this or have ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Just hold the rod at the front end of the grip, in front of the balance point. It's easier to high stick that way too!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

NewTyer 1 Guest

remove the butt cap and drill a hole and put lead in it until you get the right balance and then put the butt cap back on. You can usually remove the butt cap with slight heat.

I have seen a number of thngs done. For a little added weight, take some lead weight, flatten it into a sheet and cut it to fit under your reel foot. I have also seen people add some lead core line on the reel in front of the backing to get a better balance. This works well if you only use the reel on one rod.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I once had a Master Rod Builder (CEO Monteque Rod Company) explain to me that with the less expensive bamboo rods of the day the reels (Showed me with a Pflueger Medalist) had a way to add split shot into the center of the reel to balance the outfit.

I had asked him why one of the rods I had built was so top heavy, after his explanation I rebuilt the rod with lighter and fewer guides. It cast beautifully after being rebuilt correctly.

The suggestions above are very sound, go for it!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

On the longer rods that I build, if I feel there is going to be a concern over it being tip heavy, I usually will ask the client what reel he plans on using and then I will match the weight of the intended reel with one that I have of similiar weight(size of the reel doesn't matter, just the weight) I then mock up the build with all guides and hardware for it. If it is definitely tip heavy I will then start adding bullet weights inside the rear of the blank until I feel that it has acheived a more balanced state. After I am satisfied, I then remove the weights, add epoxy to them and re-install. I have also added a plug in the blank at the appropriate length, put the weights in and put a drop of superglue on the last one to necessitate removal in the event of a future reel change varying in weight.

+ Reply to Thread