+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Hydros Rod

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Hydros Rod

I had an earlier post asking for some input on purchasing a new fly rod for next season. After some searching I found a pretty good deal on a new 9ft 4weight 4 piece tip flex Hydros rod. Anyone have one of these and how do they compare with the Helios? I also found a closeout deal on the exact same specs but it is a Helios, its priced about $150 more than the Hydros.

Rodney

The Hydros is the same blank as the Helios. The difference is the hardware. That makes the difference in the weight.
    The new Helios 2 is on the way (November), so we will see a drop in price on the original Helios.
    Some people say that the Hydros casts better than the Helios rods. But that is all subjective.

I broke a rod that was no longer made and sent it into Orvis under warranty. They replaced it with the 3wt Hydros tip-flex.
    The rod is great and better than the old rod that broke...and I liked that rod a *lot*. (HLS2)

I would not be afraid to purchase either the Hydros or the Helios.

I've spent a morning with a 9'5wt Hydros tip-flex and liked it alot even though I'm not much for fast action rods personally. As bgreer said....same blank as the Helios, just a little heavier in hand.

As mentioned, it is said the Hydros is the same blank as the Helios but for the hardware, however that difference is significant in my mind. The Helios is much lighter to the hand and a genuine pleasure to cast, whereas the Hydros is just another good rod. If the difference in price does not phase you, then I'd go for the Helios in a heartbeat. YMMV.

Thanks everyone, I think I will be getting a Helios.

Rodney

+ Reply to Thread