+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Landlocked Salmon

Default Landlocked Salmon

The first Landlocked Atlantic Salmon that came to Patagonia Argentina, were eggs from Maine of Salmo Salar Sebago.
    We are proud to have wild LS from those days, at the beginning of the past Century. No hatchery fish, just wild and protected with C&R.
    The records -several decades ago- were between 10-12kg in Rio Traful. Today is the norm, to catch on fly landlocked between 3-7lbs in the lake and river Traful. Fantastic, acrobatic and powerful fish that takes dries, streamers, nymphs, etc.
    SST.jpg

I agree, they are great fish to have in a fishery.

Careful how you broadcast the fact that they are "wild" but not "native" though. All they need to do is find a wildflower trampled by waders, or a "native" Newt they are eating and you'll have the green side of the the fishing community fighting to kill them all off.

Ralph

.................................................. .................................................. ..
    Last edited by Kerry Stratton; 09-05-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

NewTyer 1 Guest

Back North in New England, I did a lot of lake fishing for Rainbows and Landlocked Salmon. Most were in the 5ld range and was not only beautiful but a great fighter on light gear

Juan,

You're very lucky to be able to fish for them; hope to see some pics one day. Landlocks, to me, bring to mind articles in Field and Stream talking of trolling Grey Ghost or Nine Three streamers behind a canoe.

Regards,
    Scott

I've fished for and enjoyed kokanee which is the left-coast sockeye version. One of the things in my bucket lest however is to hit some of the NE streams for a chance at landlocked atlantics. A streamer would seem to fit well.

+ Reply to Thread