+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nissin Prosquare Super Tenkara 6:4 4510

Default Nissin Prosquare Super Tenkara 6:4 4510

Well, I finally got around to fishing with the new rod and taking some pics. I did my best with the pics. Some are not that great though. First thing is how light this rod feels with it being close to 15' long. It feels significantly lighter than the TUSA Amago which was my longest rod. The Nissin also requires a light touch when casting. Too much power in the cast ends up not rolling out. This rod also has a soft tip and will flex all the way to the butt if you hook into something of size. You can not really over power fish like you can with the Amago, but you can still land them as long as you keep them out of the weeds or sticks. The tip plug is all rubber with Nissin embedded on the top. The butt cap is knurled with a hole in the middle. Let me know if you have any questions. Also include are some pics of fish I caught with this rod and some flies I used.

Mike P.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Very nice rod and flies. Looks like you had a fun day.

So Mike, which rod do you now consider your Go To bass rod, Amago or the Nissin (or some other rod)?

Also, do you have any comments on your flybox contents? Like what those mid-hackle flies are made of -- foam -- and is that a recognized pattern or your own concoction?

Nice bass, incidentally. I imagine they are from the pond you have mentioned before.

NewTyer 1 Guest

The mid-hackle look like ants to me

If I wanted to target big bass, my go to rod would be the TUSA Amago. The Nissin is a really sweet ro to cast and hold but I would hate to break it trying to get a big bass in. One bass that broke off had the rod completely doubled over and I was just hoping the 5X tippet would break before the rod. If I could find a rod as light as the nissin and the backbone of the Amago with a length some where between the 2 and nice handle shape that would be my go to rod. Since I have yet to find this I will keep looking and trying new rods since I like being a tackle tart to a degree.

As far as the fly box, you are talking about my Nuclear Glow Ants. The body is a soft glow egg made from a rubber material. The hackle is a plain grizzly hackle. At time I will hit the with a light before fishing but mostly just let the sun hit them and sink slowly after being cast. They just slid over the hook an tied in place. I usually put a base of thread down first. I am going to try to super glue them in place on this pattern. I have a new kebari I am going to try with one right behind the eye for a hot spot. I have super glued that in place with no ill effects yet. Just need to fish it and see if it holds up first.

Mike P.

I have the 13 ft. Prosquare and love it. I didn't even know they made a 15 ft. version. Does the handle feel too small for such a long rod?

I have the 13 ft. 6:4 ProSquare also and like it well enough that I may get more of the ProSquare models in to make them readily available here in the US.
    Tenkara Bum

The handle does not feel small at all. The ProSquare is so light it does not feel like a long rod. It is extremely comfortable to fish.

+ Reply to Thread