+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fly Rod blank - first post, I think.

Blog Entries

Whichever side you decide to use, make sure the grip fits your hand. It has been my experience that the "standard" fly rod grip is too small for most people. 99% of the rods I build get grips that are about .125" larger in diameter than what is found on most factory rods. The properly sized grip allows a more relaxed hold on the rod and will reduce fatigue a bunch.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Nope, not much strength in this body anywhere, But I refuse to give up on my various interest, it just take me allot longer to get whatever done. But I will give my left side a try.

NachoOne,

Have a look at the 10' Xi rods from Hook and Hackle - I have one in 4 wt and I recently bought a 5 wt kit that will be my winter project. Great rods for float tubing and nymphing, the blanks and kits are on sale right now and it's a good opportunioty to support a FAOL sponsor.

Cliff

Will do, ten feet! Not sure I will not roll on my back when I load that rod up... Just joking. Thanks!

Ok, I have decided to start my 1st fly rod built on a Rainshadow RX7 IF903 9' 2 PC 3WT for building practice, but already have that Sage on order. I just love my Salt Water Rainshadow rods, but also looking forward to casting a Sage rod. The Rainshadow is going to be all black. black reel seat, black guides, black foregrip, black thread, and the rods name is going to be the "Trout Grim Reaper", but for sure I will not kill any trout. I have the reel seat and foregrip already and it looks awesome. Going to pick up Black Guides today, single foot, with the big inner rings and YES, I am following the Batson Guide placement for this rod.. Wish me luck! Not an traditional fly rod, but I am looking forward to fly fishing with it..Here is a question, what type of fly fishing do you all recommend for this rod, flies, nyphms, streamer? Love building rods and I will post pics when I am done. Just looking to have FUN, Not a serious fly fisher yet...

Help! I now remember why I give up wrapping my own rods, How do I keep the small guides in place till I get the wrap going over the foot of the guide. I have no feelings in my fingers, bad eye slight, and using small guides and size A thread. Oh, and everything is in black which they makes it harder to do. I have the reel seat, fore grip, tip, and the stripper guide in place, but I can not figure how to get those small guides to stay, it is all going to Lanny to complete my new project.. Lanny, where are you??
    Ok, I already got new super duper eye glasses so now I can the guide falling and find them, but now I need help on how to keep that tiny guides in place.
    Thank all.

Blog Entries

Thin slices of surgical tubing can be used as well as thin strips of masking tape. I use the goodies below made from children's hair ties and metal beads. They are quick, reusable, and inexpensive.

Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Hey thanks for your suggestion, I have use those girlie things in the past and yes they do work, now have buy some. I forget allot.

Just to be clear, I have the fingers of an elephant and five fingers hardy work.

Where is Lanny, I give up, just can not get it done. Two blanks going his way. Thanks guy for all your help, but I just have no feel in my fingers.. I just need to live within my physical limitations.

+ Reply to Thread