+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cows

Hybrid View

Default Cows

There is a reservoir out in the middle of nowhere in Lake County Oregon. Spaulding Reservoir is 19 miles off the paved road and no houses are nearby. The state plants rainbows in there when there is enough water to insure the fish will survive the summer. I went to Spaulding last week scouting for an upcoming hunt. Of course I took the rod along to fish Spaulding's clear water and feisty bows. When I arrived I found that the gates to the reservoir had been left ajar and the cattle had a hayday messing up the water. What once was a fun place to visit is now just ugly.

However I still caught some trout on a wooly worm. I won't be going back this year. Hopefully things will be better next year.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Panman; 09-02-2012 at 09:54 AM.

A real shame the gate was left open. This situation reminds us all to leave gates as we find them. However, if the cattle had legal access to the water the ethical thing to do would be to build a tank and trough.
    The land will not survive in good condition if we fail to care for it.

How about a call to the Fisheries people - they probably would like to know there is a problem. Be part of the solution.

Here is part of an E-mail sent to the ODFW yesterday.

Visited Spaulding several days ago. What a disappointment. What used
    to be a reservoir with fairly clear water looked like a mud hole with
    coffee colored water. However the fish seemed to be OK even though
    they had not grown since my last visit about a month ago. The water
    and the surrounding reservoir looked so ugly I could see why it was
    not getting any fishing pressure. In fact there had not been any
    vehicles up there since the last rain (3/4 days ago?).

Tim

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Huh?

Puede, repetirlo en Ingles, por favor?.......

W jakim języku jest to, że?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The owner of those cows needs to be fined for the cost of the clean-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    There is a reservoir out in the middle of nowhere in Lake County Oregon. Spaulding Reservoir is 19 miles off the paved road and no houses are nearby. The state plants rainbows in there when there is enough water to insure the fish will survive the summer. I went to Spaulding last week scouting for an upcoming hunt. Of course I took the rod along to fish Spaulding's clear water and feisty bows. When I arrived I found that the gates to the reservoir had been left ajar and the cattle had a hayday messing up the water. What once was a fun place to visit is now just ugly.

However I still caught some trout on a wooly worm. I won't be going back this year. Hopefully things will be better next year.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    The owner of those cows needs to be fined for the cost of the clean-up.
    It is likely that someone failed to properly close the gate. And it is likely that it was someone fishing the reservoir.

I wouldn't blame or fine the owner of the cattle for relying on others to be responsible. But that is a Western thing, and probably an attitude more from people with cattle ranching in the West in their personal history.

John
    The fish are always right.

I will have to ask for forgiveness for my ignorance, but I don’t really understand what the big deal is. If I remember correctly the lakes on Ft. Apache in AZ are on open range with some cows and elk in the area. I grew up fishing in ponds usually dug to provide water for cattle. A little mud stirred up in on end of a pond or lake would not seem to do much harm. The cows are going to go very deep, foot and a half or two feet max in most cases.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse:
    The damage caused by a small herd of cattle like you see in a diversified farm may be minimal. However, the damage caused by several hundred head is significant. Would you want to fish the ditch liquor pool of a feed lot?

There a world of difference between a feed lot and pasture land. Looking at the photo, several hundred head of cattle would have to spread out over a very large area to find enough to live off of. Most of us forget about 2/3 or Oregon is high desert. It takes a lot of desert to feed a cow.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread