I figured out a very long time ago that it was easier to just admit my phobia instead of trying to hide it. After all, it's pretty difficult to make intentionally losing a fish look real...especially when trying to lose a big lipped fish since they don't seem to wriggle free very easily.

I don't even mind getting teased about it anymore because I can certainly appreciate that it's pretty silly. I'm not sure that I've ever run across somebody who was afraid of suckers. A few people have "tested" me, and the results were not pretty (unless yelping, flailing arms, and running away are attractive).

The main reason that I want to get over it is because it's a ridiculous weakness that at times can interfere with fishing. If a fish is playing like a whitefish or sucker then I don't fight it properly because I'm more concerned about getting a look at it than landing it. I've probably lost some fat browns because of this. It can also be expensive sacrificing flies, and it's certainly not sporting.