+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sling Packs/Opinions

Default Sling Packs/Opinions

Has anyone had any experience with sling packs? Is there one you like, roomy, big enough for a day on the water, comfortable, etc? I was looking at the L.L. Bean waterproof model. They say it's not meant to be submerged, but will keep your gear dry during a thunderstorm.

Thanks

I have an Orvis Sling Pack. OK for a couple of hours, but not a day on the water. No room for a rain jacket or lunch. Your gear may be dry, but you'll be soaked during a thunderstorm. You can't even carry or attach a water bottle. And a sling pack precludes carrying a day pack.

i have used a sling pack for the past couple of years. I gave away my vest. i'd look for a sling pack that works with a day pack if you want to carry lunch, water, rain gear etc to a stretch of river away from your car. if you want to downsize to a day pack, you'll limit yourself to a couple of fly boxes and essential tools and from time to time you'll have left something you "need" in the car or at home. i have been trying to downsize further to no pack. flies in a poly bag. a spool of tippet. various sinking tips in a baggie. still struggling to have the right stuff when I need it, but it certainly is liberating to go weightless.

if you'd like to discuss further, PM me ?

garthman

I've recently posted on the Bean Sling Pack. It's a great Sling except for one thing: the stiff strap. If you're wearing just a light shirt, the strap will become very uncomfortable when you're walking. I got a thick piece of neoprene and taped it onto the strap. Yes the sling is bigger than the Orvis, though, IMHO, not as nice looking. I love that is has a waist strap, so you can carry heavier loads.

BTW, I think the guy who said the pack isn't waterproof ran a bogus test. He held the bag underwater, pressing it firmly, for five minutes. I don't see how you'll ever put the sling through that kind of situation.

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 09-01-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: More info

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'sling pack'? Are you talking about a Fanny Pack?

Allan

At one time or another, I think I've owned about every type vest and pack known to man...and never been completely happy. I hate a vest. They make my neck sore and the pockets are always in the wrong places and in the way for my tastes. Plus, I'm trying to be a bit of a minimialist as well, so I dont want something big. Chest packs are horrible for me. Something sticking out on my chest, to block the view of my footsteps while wading/climbing steep-gradient mountain streams is a disaster waiting to happen. Fanny packs, while I used them for awhile, constantly sagging, is a pain. Then not longh ago a fishing buddy recommended a pack to me and after several full-day trips with it, I have finally found the best fishing pack/bag I've had to date. And it's not even a "fishing" pack. It's a tactical sling pack.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Multi-func...6701056&sr=1-5

It carries all I need for a full day on the water, is very well made, has a comfortable shoulder strap, has molle-type webbing in very strategic places to hang zingers and such, is vented on the back side to keep cool, and slings around on your back, completely out of the way while fishing. Easily slides around to the front when you need something out of it. The only downside I've found is when you bend over, it tends to want to slide around to the front, but a caribiner clipped to your belt stops that, and it even has a loop on the back to accomidate one if that bothers you (which it dont bother me enough to do that).

If this pack had a name on it like Fishpond or WJ or the like, it would be a $100+ pack. But it's a tactical pack, and I bought mine for around $34...shipping included.
    Best fly-fishing related item I've bought in quite some time.
    Mark 1:17

http://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-shoulder-pack/

G
    reat company, quality products. They also make a version for us lefty's.

paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

It is impossible to tell you what is the "best" because everyone has different needs. I have, also, been looking for the "perfect" bag for me and have settled on this one which may not fit your "needs" but it is a lot easier to wear on an all-day outing. The only drawback to it for me is no place to pack a rainjacket but I figure I could roll the jacket up and bungy cord it to the shoulder strap if needed. Of course one could also purchase the light poncho type for about a dollar and just put it in the pack. I own the expensive type of rain jackets and never carry them because of the size and bulk. When winter fishing I will wear them as a wind break to help keep warm.

I like this small pack and I will probably keep "tweeking" it after each trip. It holds everything I need and is not overly heavy. You will just have to see what fits your needs and this is what I am presently using. Just keep in mind that the larger a pack is, the more you will put into it and the heavier it will become. Try just putting everything out on a table that you use regularly on a fishing trip and try to come up with a pack that will carry it and nothing more. You will be surprised what all you are carrying and not only forgoten but never used.

http://www.smallmouthflyangler.com/p...01_f.php#specs
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I was given an Orvis sling pack and love it

I have the older Orvis Sling. Swear by it! BUT, then I got the Willie J. So, basically I use a Sling. I do have a nice hydration back pack built in fly vest set up for hike ins.
    I also have fanny packs and chest packs, which I haven't used in years.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wil...-pack~p~1505f/
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 09-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread