+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: technical fishing

Default technical fishing

i would just like to add my two cents to ladyfishers last article. while i belive what that man said is quite correct i still have a hard time understanding why labels bother so many people. from arguing what makes a proper fly to what somebody else chooses to call fishing that may be difficult.fish how you choose(as long as it is legal)use whatever words you choose to express your feelings and just enjoy the fishing. the fact that someone else does things differently should not take away from your enjoyment of the fish and the watersheds that you choose to fish.this is just my view and by no means an attempt to start an arguement.

Aw, it's just when some of these 'blow-hards' get all puffed up and try to cover ya with smoke about how wonderful they are. Really tough fly fishing, very technical stuff. Probably to technical for you to even consider understanding.

I think that the technical guys fall into two camps. One group is filled with people who are just really interested in fish and the critters that fish like to eat. They know the latin names for every species of bug in the water because they're just really fascinated by it all. These guys are usually really interesting to talk to and a lot can be learned from them. Sure, some of us might think that they go a bit overboard with their gear and technique, but that's what they like, and so be it.

The other group is filled with guys who feel superior because of their knowledge and extreme technique (and often both are exaggerated). Sometimes they work in fly shops, which is why I avoid fly shops like I avoid certain hardware stores. They'll scoff at you for using "substandard" equipment or spending any less than three bucks a fly. These are the people that can make guys like me feel a little uncomfortable. I like fishing in shorts and a tshirt and some old shoes or sandals. Do I got nice tight loops? Hell if I know. And I'm quite happy with my modest selection of cheap, standard patterns. And I catch fish, so mind your own business!

Most people on the river and in the fly shops are pretty decent though. It's important not to judge people negatively just because their gear is worth more than your car and they know more about trout than most biologists and spend more time practicing than a classical pianist. That's just as bad as guys like that judging me for slapping out humpies instead of spending my time trying to precisely match whatever the fish are most likely to be feeding on at some particular time.

[This message has been edited by sm2k (edited 21 June 2006).]

sm2k,,, and the nice part is, that in fly fishing, I think we have the highest percentage of really great guys of any recreation. Sure, we have some stinkers, but, mostly,,, you guys are the greatest. I don't know if flyfishing makes folks nicer, or if just great guys get into flyfishing. Once in a while, too, you will find a great guy, and he has very expensive gear. And he can't wait for you to play with it too. Just to share the experience. Kinda like at the 'Fish-In's'. Some can afford the high-end stuff, some can't. But, there is no difference in them as people.

When using that definition 'technical fishing' two places come instantly to mind, parts of the Henrys Fork and the South Holston.
    Slow, clear water where any errors in your presentation will still indeed have you fly fishing, but fishless.

My rant on a lot of old pharts who like to boast about how long they have been fly fishing and how everyone else is doing it wrong? More times than not I'm willing to bet that sure, they may have been introduced to fly fishing before yuppies but during the heyday of tweed, sports coats and long train trips to ravage pristeen rivers of anything that swims. These non-yuppies thought nothing of the resource and certainly never looked down their noses at a kid using worms and a switch for a rod, did they?
    These old, non-yuppies might well have fly fished a long time but then probably once or twice a year for a few hours when on vacation, IF they were lucky!
    I fish with old-timers quite a bit. There are several I would share a pool with any day of he week. These are the type who fish for enjoyment, aren't afraid to open up to new, or even just different idea's and who don't spend their fishing time fretting about what the other guy is using or how he uses it. They fish for the enjoyment of it.

I don't have any grips about fishing. To each his own.
    However, one thing does stand out on this thread: the use of the word technical when talking about fishing. If you are in the rod, line, reel, etc., design field, then your job is certainly technical. However, you may not even be a fisherman.
    Distance casting competitors will most definitely get involved in the technology of rods and lines at least in order to be tops in their competition.
    However, in my many years of fishing, 5 as host and producer of as television fishing show, I never did see anything that could be called technical. Of course we have to learn about the fish, their habits and habitats, where and when our chances of a good catch would be best and lots of other non-technical stuff.
    I think those who refer to fishing as being a technology are simply trying to put more importance on what they do to look better to the non-technical fishers. It's fishing, for crying out loud. Get over yourselves.
    We may do most of our fishing with flies but don't forget, the 12 year old with a stick and a worm can catch as many, sometimes more, fish that we do.

P.S. How do you do spell check on these boards, anyway? Without getting too technical, of course. LOL

------------------
    Cheers
    Bob

Sorry, James. I just realized that my post is probably more suited to the Sound Off board. Feel free to move it if you agree.

------------------
    Cheers
    Bob

8. Default

JC, you said a mouthful and I quote ???I think we have the highest percentage of really great guys of any recreation???.Once in a while, too, you will find a great guy, and he has very expensive gear. And he can't wait for you to play with it too???.

I have been fly fishing for 4 years now. Spin fished the previous 35 years. I have met more great folks who have shared knowledge (yes, even some technical info) equipment and their passion for fly fishing in these four years than in all the previous 30. Not saying the spin folks are lesser or bad in any way, but the fly community is a tight knit group that seems to appreciate the whole experience on a different level.

Blog Entries

Bob the way to run a spell check is to type the post on a word processor then cut and paste. If you have read my posts you know I don't do this.

I have no problem with technical, as long as it is in the rite place and time, (away from the water in the lab or test facility.)

Now hopefuly we don't go Digital.

Eric

------------------
    Tis bettter to have hooked and lost, than never hooked at all.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I was blessed to spend some too few hours on stream as well as off stream with one of the giants of our world, Vincent Marinaro. There never lived a more 'technical' fly fisher. Yet, his knowledge was simply evident, not officious. His sharing with me was a combination as a loving father/college professor/drill instructor. He strongly influenced my life including fly fishing.

+ Reply to Thread