+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: technical fishing

Having done this now for more than a few years, I do have some technical tips to pass on:

1.Matching the hatch.
    a.Most of what trout eat are thingies about half an inch long and brownish gray. Carry several flies that match this description. Given the vast array of circumstances you may have to confront, it is best if some of them float and some of them don?t.

2.Maintaining the correct image.
    a.When the ?genuine expert? says something utterly incomprehensible, like ?they?re feeding on the ephemeral stage of discustus fustica?, furrow your brow, squint slightly, and nod slowly. Smoking a pipe while doing this is a plus.
    b.Tweed always projects a good image, but only an old jacket well used. Taking a new jacket to the vacant lot down the block and kicking it around for a few hours will give you the same effect.
    c.Aloha shirts and NASCAR jackets are a definite no-no [unless your name is Jack].

3.Rigging up.
    a.Tippet size is very important. It should be small enough not to look like a yard of log chain on the water, but thick enough to allow you to extricate your fly from the bushes behind you. Obviously this will vary depending on the fishing circumstances?. Some venues have more robust bushes.

4.Casting
    a.The major rule, and this is very important, is always grasp the blunt end of the rod.

I hope this helps.

------------------
    Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Wow!! That number 4 will certainly have a few people in my crowd re-thinking their stratagies. lol

------------------
    Cheers
    Bob

"Most fishing rods work better if you grasp them at the thick end. If you grasp a fisherman at the thick end, you may get a thumb bit off"
    Ed Zern "How To Tell Fish From Fishermen"
    (1947

Trout don't care how much you paid for it.

Blog Entries

Xellent Silverback - and to this I'd like to add a quote from a man I consider(based mostly on this quote ) to be one of the wisest ever to cast a fly:

"Flyfishing is not a religion. You can
    make up your own rules as you go."..Jim Hatch..2/27/'06
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

JC's "really nice guys" quote made me thinking of two members of this board that I have fished with that are the best fisherman I have ever witnessed.
    Both are great guys, they never pull the "technical" B/S, and interesting to be around.

------------------
    "The only thing worse than getting old is not getting old"

Silverback,
    Regarding 2b and the tweed jacket. You'd probably get even more points with leather patches on the elbows. And a bent pipe is worth more points than a straight shank.
    Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread