+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waist pack suggestions?

Hybrid View

Default Waist pack suggestions?

I fish only rarely up in the sierras and some Klamath steelheads. I was thinking that a waist pack would be ok. what say you? Thanks...
    Last edited by GaryO; 09-01-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

There are some on e-Bay, but you'll need to search for waist pack.

The Blue River Fishpond pack is my favorite. You can use it as a waist pack, shoulder/hip pack (my favorite), or a chest pack.

Ralph

I use the orvis safe passage pack. Perfect.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Here are some thoughts by other FAOL members about the subject from this past January. It might help.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-Pack-opinions

When you go shopping for one, take along a simple list of what you'll carry in it. You can always borrow a couple of fly boxes, etc. at the shops to load into the packs to see how much room is left for the rest of the gear you'd carry. Then try them on for comfort sake..

Another thing I do to all of ours each year. Zip them shut and shoot them with waterproof spray. Not so much for the occasional dunking, but for those long hours of standing in coastal drizzle.
    ( Wally-world has a WP spray in their camping dept that's effective and haf the price of 3M's Scotchguard product. Don't remember the products name, but you can't miss the can, it's got a big day-glow orange cap on it. ) .

Best, Dave

I have the standard vest, but I just bought an Orvis Micro pack. The vest has some odd sized pockets that quite honestly weren't good for anything, and other pockets were too big for most items. I must say the Orvis Micro pack is PERFECT. I can carry everything I had in the vest easily in the pack. I am surprised the small size could fit all my dodo in. When it turns cold, I will probably go back to the vest for additional heating. For the Summer, the pack rules!

I agree with the above post. You almost have to try these things on. I wanted to love the Fish Ponds, but all of them had something I didn't like about them. They appear well made, but it also made me try these things on for fit.
    Last edited by Herknav90; 09-02-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
    I fish only rarely up in the sierras and some Klamath steelheads. I was thinking that a waist pack would be ok. what say you? Thanks...
    For steelhead fishing, a waist pack is a good idea. It's also great for summer trout fishing but I'm inclined to try going light (no chest pack, no waist pack, no vest). I've got a couple of fishing shirts and shorts and I am considering just using the pockets on them instead. I'm thinking less gear = more comfort.

Go to Cabela's or BassPro if one is near you. Go to the hunting section. Buy the biggest fanny pack you can find. It will be cheaper than the fly fishing packs and probably carry more.

I would definitely suggest that anything you buy have a water bottle holder.

Avoid any waist pack that mentions fly fishing. You will pay 2 to 3 times more than the same waist pack in the outdoors or hunting sections. The things I look for are sturdy plastic zippers (I fish in salt), just enough capacity to hold my gear, and a water bottle holder. I think the most I have ever paid for one is $20. The one I have used the most for over 10 years came from Sports Authority and cost $12.95.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread