+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone River, Snake River, Wind River

Hybrid View

Default Yellowstone River, Snake River, Wind River

A group of us will be heading to all three places the last week of September.

Any locals have any idea on where to go on the Yellowstone River? I used to live in Helena, MT (upper MO River was my home water) but I do not know the Yellowstone River very well. I'm thinking of floating from Springdale (below Livingston) to the Grey Bear access or Big Timber one day and perhaps through Paradise Valley the other day. Depending on the weather, I'm thinking maybe some terrestrials (still), Baetis and definitely streamers/sculpin patterns on the lower end. Then south through Yellowstone National Park (probably dunk a line on a stream/river or two) on the way to Jackson, WY.

I have no idea what my fishing partners have in mind on the Snake except that we will be floating south of Jackson on the Wyoming side. Any ideas what they take at that time of the year? Maybe dry flies?

Finally, on our way back to Colorado we are thinking of hitting the Wind River through the Wind River Indian Reservation just downstream of Boysen Dam. Long story short, unless you're a member of the tribe or willing to pay $600 for two people to the reservation's designated outfitter, I do not think you can float the river. My understanding is you can purchase a reservation fishing license though you are limited to scrambling down from the public road to the river. No access from the other (reservation side) of the river. Any ideas what typically works in that area? I'm guessing big streamers. However, I think access along the banks through a canyon will be work. Lots of work. Alternatively, we may bypass that and go to Grey Reef outside of Casper. I want to do some streamer fishing. The tug is the drug.

Kind of wondering if the browns will be in pre-spawn mode though it may be too early still.

Any input would be appreciated.

For the Wind River Reservation, the outfitter is a joke. I wouldn't waste my time with him. If you hit the canyon, you can do very very well with streamers.

From Boysen Dam to the first tunnel is actually non-reservation. You'll need a Wyoming license for that area. Scrambling down the canyon isn't as bad as you think. The road pretty much runs along the river, and there are several pullouts. I haven't fished the canyon myself, but a coworker of mine has fished it all summer and has pulled out several large browns this summer using streamers.

Also, do not hesitate to hit the river around Dubois, before you get to the reservation. While it doesn't fish as well in the fall as it does in the spring, it's been doing very well for me this summer.

By the end of September, we're hoping that the flows on the N. Platte @ Grey Reef will be reduced. If that happens, the fishing should be on fire when you get here.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    For the Wind River Reservation, the outfitter is a joke. I wouldn't waste my time with him. If you hit the canyon, you can do very very well with streamers.

From Boysen Dam to the first tunnel is actually non-reservation. You'll need a Wyoming license for that area. Scrambling down the canyon isn't as bad as you think. The road pretty much runs along the river, and there are several pullouts. I haven't fished the canyon myself, but a coworker of mine has fished it all summer and has pulled out several large browns this summer using streamers.

Also, do not hesitate to hit the river around Dubois, before you get to the reservation. While it doesn't fish as well in the fall as it does in the spring, it's been doing very well for me this summer.

By the end of September, we're hoping that the flows on the N. Platte @ Grey Reef will be reduced. If that happens, the fishing should be on fire when you get here.
    Thanks so much for the info. I've wanted to fish the Wind River for a while now. What CFS should I be looking for on the N. Platte @ Grey Reef by the end of Sept?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Get in touch with Wally (Longs for Cutts) at Parks Flyshop for info on the Yellowstone
    http://www.parksflyshop.com/

He'll steer you right.

Regards,
    Scott
    Much appreciated.

For the N. Platte, they will eventually drop the flows all the way down to 500 cfs, currently at 2,700. Currently this is planned for late September.

Here is a link of the river height just below the dam for the past 12 months. When it drops back down, it'll be golden: http://www.usbr.gov/gp-bin/hydromet_arcplt.pl?ggwy&gd

For up to date info on the Gray Reef, the best shop in my opinion is wyomingflyfishing.com. If you get a chance, catch the Trout Unlimited episode they did earlier this season. It should wet your appetite for streamer fishing.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

if you're heading to gray reef contact these people http://www.crazyrainbow.net/Guided-S...s/Fly-Fishing/. i spent 2 days with them this past april and had a blast. 1 day was a float the other was on our own, on shore, they 9 miles of shore access. if you just want a place to stay, this place was very nice and resonable, http://www.redbutteranchlodging.com/. good luck and be safe, i know you'll have fun.

I spend the summer on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley. I don't float below Springdale, so I can't help you there, but would suggest that you get some good local input before floating it if you are doing it yourself. I floated down from the Hwy 89 Bridge a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how the river had changed since the last time I floated that section 2 years ago. Picking the right channel was a bit tricky in places; it would be even trickier now and into September as the already low water level gets lower day by day.

I would agree with your thoughts on terrestrials, baetis and streamers for the end of September (depending on the weather of course), and we do pretty good on streamers in September up above Livingston also. I think you could do good floating any section of the upper river then - just keep in mind that water will be much lower than in a normal year.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I spend the summer on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley. I don't float below Springdale, so I can't help you there, but would suggest that you get some good local input before floating it if you are doing it yourself. I floated down from the Hwy 89 Bridge a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how the river had changed since the last time I floated that section 2 years ago. Picking the right channel was a bit tricky in places; it would be even trickier now and into September as the already low water level gets lower day by day.

I would agree with your thoughts on terrestrials, baetis and streamers for the end of September (depending on the weather of course), and we do pretty good on streamers in September up above Livingston also. I think you could do good floating any section of the upper river then - just keep in mind that water will be much lower than in a normal year.

John
    Thanks for the info. I'll also check with Dan Bailey's and George Anderson's fly shops.

Default Yellowstone

Quote Originally Posted by flyfysher View Post
    A group of us will be heading to all three places the last week of September.

Any locals have any idea on where to go on the Yellowstone River? I used to live in Helena, MT (upper MO River was my home water) but I do not know the Yellowstone River very well. I'm thinking of floating from Springdale (below Livingston) to the Grey Bear access or Big Timber one day and perhaps through Paradise Valley the other day. Depending on the weather, I'm thinking maybe some terrestrials (still), Baetis and definitely streamers/sculpin patterns on the lower end. Then south through Yellowstone National Park (probably dunk a line on a stream/river or two) on the way to Jackson, WY.

I have no idea what my fishing partners have in mind on the Snake except that we will be floating south of Jackson on the Wyoming side. Any ideas what they take at that time of the year? Maybe dry flies?

Finally, on our way back to Colorado we are thinking of hitting the Wind River through the Wind River Indian Reservation just downstream of Boysen Dam. Long story short, unless you're a member of the tribe or willing to pay $600 for two people to the reservation's designated outfitter, I do not think you can float the river. My understanding is you can purchase a reservation fishing license though you are limited to scrambling down from the public road to the river. No access from the other (reservation side) of the river. Any ideas what typically works in that area? I'm guessing big streamers. However, I think access along the banks through a canyon will be work. Lots of work. Alternatively, we may bypass that and go to Grey Reef outside of Casper. I want to do some streamer fishing. The tug is the drug.

Kind of wondering if the browns will be in pre-spawn mode though it may be too early still.

Any input would be appreciated.

Just got back from the Yellowstone today. Fished with a guide for half a day and only caught one cut and one brown and some of what they call white fish. looked like suckers to me.
    The river is very low, and the fish were very shy. Rivers in the park were also low.
    Gray Reef with a guide will get you some big Rainbow. Just don't go over a holliday week end with out calling early for the guide. I couldn't find a guide because I forgot it was a holliday weekend.

+ Reply to Thread