Thread: Doing something wrong casting

Threaded View

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, as it's hard enough to provide anything of value to someone when they are standing right beside you. A post in a thread like this... well, hopefully you'll find something that helps.

I believe much of what has already been provided to you is very "valid" advice. But I doubt that much of it will truly be very helpful, and some of it, quite honestly, scares me. Not that what was being said isn't valid when you get right down to it. But for someone that has a limited understanding (at best) of what is being said, my fear is that the information will only serve to confuse you in the end.

Please do not take any offense to that comment, as I am only responding to what I perceive from a few posts. But if you need to look up terminology (such as spey casting) then much of what has been said is likely above your understanding. We all started there, and from what I know of this Board's membership, we all want to help, and no one is judging or intentionally trying to mislead you. But the road to (you know where) is often paved with good intentions.

I could also provide you with "helpful advice", but you don't know me, have no idea if I even have a clue, and you may well be a much better caster than I. The point is, you don't know. So should you follow my advice or not?

As such, I believe the best advice that you have received is to find someone local to you, that can truly assist you with some one-on-one. Barring that, the videos (Joan Wulffs Dynamics of Fly Casting for example) are your next best option, as you can clearly see what is being explained, and you know they are knowledgeable. If you don't want to purchase a video, then look to your local libraries. They may already have some, and if not, they may be able to inter-library loan one, or be willing to add one (or more) to their collection. The point is, ask them if they don't have it.

Be cautious of any casting instruction you find in a youtube video (or similar) unless it is an actual segment from an actual video that you know you can trust. There are plenty of really good videos out there on youtube, but again, until you have some knowledge / understanding to work from, you could end up following some pretty bad advice. And while this video (which was also posted under "You can be a guide") (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdko...layer_embedded) is made as a humorous look at the kinds of "professionals" I'm referring to. I think it clearly illustrates my point.

Good luck and welcome to the wonders of fly fishing. You are in for a wonderful time, so just enjoy the journey in all its' phases.

---David
    Last edited by Utah David; 08-31-2012 at 11:43 AM.