Thread: Doing something wrong casting

Threaded View

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Quote Originally Posted by qrrfish1 View Post
    ...I can't speak for others but I have worked with a goodly number of people over the internet on fly rodding skills and other related subjects. ...I bet you might find it a bit odd that I don't employ the word 'casting' when mentoring a fly rod student, you may find that a little "above your understanding". I've heard it spoken "Free advise is worth what you pay for it, but understanding is priceless".
    No question about it, that one flew right by me. I was (am) clueless as to why that is important. So much so, that I didn't even recognize your use of the term "fly rodding" as anything more than your chosen vocabulary. I could take a guess as to why you believe the use of semantics is important here, and why you believe "rodding" is a better word for imparting an understanding of what is trying to be conveyed. But that is all it would be. A guess.

But even if I did know, that doesn't mean I would adopt it. I may or may not agree with your reasons for doing so, and in the end, if it helps someone, my opinion is of no value one way or the other. If it works for you, who am I to claim otherwise? Regardless, if nothing else, you've helped to illustrate DaleW's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    One must keep in mind that the road to perfect casting is always under construction.
    That I heartily agree with. And to that end, rather than hi-jack this thread, if you'd care to "enlighten me" qrrfish1, please PM me with info on where I can find information on your method of instruction, or simply start another thread discussing it.

---David

p.s. Silver: Those are exactly the types of videos I was referring to as being worthy of watching. Thanks for posting the links. And to aaron1956 I say, "Watch them all, but skip trying to double haul until you've got the rest down pat."
    Last edited by Utah David; 09-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.