+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rise Forms

Default Rise Forms

I just read in the archives a section on rise forms. When I first began fly fishing in april I hadnt even heard those two words, but over the last month or so I have been getting the idea. And it has really improved my fishing technique. But not only has this improved my catch rate at times it has given me a better appreciation for the whole fly fishing experience. Like taking the time to look, not just jump into the water at the first fish that rises.

I have not only learned alot from others by watching them but I have gained a wealth of knowledge from watching the fish. Reading that archive really hit the nail on the (steel)head fly fishing is not just about catching the fish but learning how to catch the fish (among other things)

wire

Make it a real chalange,,, wear an iPod with some nice rap blasting,,, that way you won't be 'distracted' by the annoying splashing of 'rises'.

J.C. I remember fly fishing for salmon on Hammersly Inlet down by Shelton one fall..it was a light rain, the salmon were "rising and splasing" all over the place. No matter what I offered, they just kept up their antics. I think a number 2/0 lead weight jig smashed onto their forhead would have been the only thing that would have brought them to net. I have also seen this same happening on rivers with salmon, especially with the fall run. Nothing will entice them.

RAP ! OMG no i would be using that ipod as a thermomitor lol hey i got a great idea give it to ED lol

COBRA

------------------

wireguy,,, Actually, I am happy for ya,,, It's all good....

In my experience, salmon DO need to be hit in the forhead to get them to bite. I have caught quite a few while targeting steel in the Pac. NW.

Wireguy, sounds like the bug has bitten you. Good luck

wireguy:

If you get a chance, track down a copy of, "In the Ring of the Rise" by Vincent C. Marinaro.

Great stuff in that book by one of the masters.

Boozle,,, agreed. Was honored to have been in a small way involved with it. Check out 'A modern Dry Fly Code' too.

JC:

The first time I fished the Letort, the screens that were built so Vince could hide behind while he did some of his observing for the book were still there. It was pretty cool to see.

He inscribed my copies of his books a few years later when I met him for the first time.

+ Reply to Thread