+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mono furled leader length for graphite rod?

Hybrid View

Default Mono furled leader length for graphite rod?

I have used3', 5' and 7' threaded leaders (thanks Betty and Jack) on my 7' 4wt boo and really like them. A couple of friends of mine have been using mono furled leaders on their graphite rods and told me I should give them a try. I have used some of the thread leaders for dry fly fishing but am not sold on them when nymphing with an indicator. Feather Craft sells them according to rod weight and in different lengths. I was thinking either 6' or 7' since I do both dry fly fishing and nymphing.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave, I use the same lengths on boo and graphite. I furl an 0/6 rather than an 0/8 for the heavier rods. Use the 0/8 for the short 1-3 weights. I, personally, do not care for the mono furls. They pick up too much water and spew it all over the surface when retrieved.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks Betty.

Sent you a pm.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave, as you know Betty does a great thread furled leader. I however try to get my flies as deep as possible (smallies) so I have been making my own floro furled leaders and have been pleased with the results. However the other day there was little interest in my deep stuff so I went to a popper......and the floro furled leader made the popper ride too low in the water. I had a thread furled leader in my vest but went back to swinging big flies deep. Nymph fishing would be okay with a mono furled leader but dry fly fishing needs a thread leader. Hope you have more water in your rivers than we do in NE Iowa...fishing has been real slow the last 6-8 weeks. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by turvy View Post
    Dave, as you know Betty does a great thread furled leader. I however try to get my flies as deep as possible (smallies) so I have been making my own floro furled leaders and have been pleased with the results. However the other day there was little interest in my deep stuff so I went to a popper......and the floro furled leader made the popper ride too low in the water. I had a thread furled leader in my vest but went back to swinging big flies deep. Nymph fishing would be okay with a mono furled leader but dry fly fishing needs a thread leader. Hope you have more water in your rivers than we do in NE Iowa...fishing has been real slow the last 6-8 weeks. Jim
    Jim I was just up in Highlandville and Dorchester this past weekend. No great numbers but quality brown trout. Most on #16 EHC.

I have a fluro leader that Jack Hise sent me a few years back that I use for getting down deep for smallies. I also have some thread leaders that Betty made me and have used them for dry flys. Have played around with them when fishing nymphs under an indicator, but the jury is still out. A couple of friend of mine said they were using mone furled leaders for nymphing that is why I posed my question. In all honesty I am very happy with the thread leaders but always willing to look at something new.

Dave

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

I fish both graphite and bamboo, and use the same thread leaders on both. I also use the very same (thread) leaders for dries, bass bugs, and nymphs. I have not seen the need to change anything. I must admit, that I fish primarily for members of the 'sunfish' family; LMB, and the 'bream' group, and it is well known that these guys are normally not as 'picky' as are the salmonids.

Betty...

Please define your 6/0 and 8/0 in regards to your leaders. I have been furling for over 4 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen such designations for them. Is this something that you devised for just your leaders?

Thanks,
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread