Quote Originally Posted by turvy View Post
Dave, as you know Betty does a great thread furled leader. I however try to get my flies as deep as possible (smallies) so I have been making my own floro furled leaders and have been pleased with the results. However the other day there was little interest in my deep stuff so I went to a popper......and the floro furled leader made the popper ride too low in the water. I had a thread furled leader in my vest but went back to swinging big flies deep. Nymph fishing would be okay with a mono furled leader but dry fly fishing needs a thread leader. Hope you have more water in your rivers than we do in NE Iowa...fishing has been real slow the last 6-8 weeks. Jim
Jim I was just up in Highlandville and Dorchester this past weekend. No great numbers but quality brown trout. Most on #16 EHC.

I have a fluro leader that Jack Hise sent me a few years back that I use for getting down deep for smallies. I also have some thread leaders that Betty made me and have used them for dry flys. Have played around with them when fishing nymphs under an indicator, but the jury is still out. A couple of friend of mine said they were using mone furled leaders for nymphing that is why I posed my question. In all honesty I am very happy with the thread leaders but always willing to look at something new.

Dave