I started doing this for 18 -22 trico's. Just used the entire tippet and used a perfection loop to loop handshake on to the leader. Hinging is not a problem with handshakes if you don't make the loop any bigger than enough to get a fly through. I used a hair curler - you know, the big round ones that look like a mesh covered spring with a bottle brush stuck into them. Use tooth picks to anchor the loop and wind around and hook the fly in the mesh. I then started winding the tippet exactly the way you store them in a tippet wallet. Wind around all 4 fingers and loop the loop end through 3 times and put it in the leader wallet. When you take them out with the pre tied on fly, be sure to unloop exactly three times and douse the fly with some silicone (gink I think) and blow on it to get the flats out from storage.

When I started night fishing for browns, I moved the handshake up the leader to about .010 on the leader. That way I could fish drys till after sunset and switch to .010 level for the #2 muddler we use at night. The handshake and pretied stuff was much easier than tying under a light with a thousand bugs flying in your eyes and nose.

Bob