+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Red/White rivers hp recommendations

Default Little Red/White rivers hp recommendations

Looking to get another boat/or rig me up another boat, primarily to be used on the Little Red River, occasionally on the white, and I'd like to be able to occasionally take it out on a lake and bass fish if I want. Looking at 14ft jon boats, and I'm thinking about 36 inches wide. WHat would be a good size outboard? I don't want a huge outboard due to cost, but enough outboard to stay out of trouble and maybe get upstream with 4 people. I'd appreciate any opinions on boat/motors.

Most of the guides on the White use a longer jon boat, say 21 feet with a 12 to 15 hp outboard. You might get some other good suggestions from some of the others from that area who use this board.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

I grew up in south Georgia which was serious jon boat country. Most folks ran the slow rivers with boats in the 14ft. range and a 9.9 seemed to be the standard fare. When the White is running hard you won't be breaking any speed records on your way upstream but you will get there without breaking the bank.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:4eca5]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:4eca5]

Dear Jec,

If you want to move 4 people in a 14 foot jonboat it better have a bottom wider than 36 inches. You will be looking at a severely overloaded boat. Even a welded jon of that size only has about a 500 pound capacity and that includes people, motor, gas, and gear. A 9.9HP four-stroke outboard weighs 90 to 100 pounds depending on the brand and the shaft length.

To carry 4 people safely you need to move up to at least a 16 foot boat and a 17 or 18 footer would be better.

Forget about doing much fly fishing in a 14 foot boat too unless you plan to run solo most of the time. There simply isn't much room in a 14 footer. I have a 16 foot open jon boat with a flat 60 inch wide floor and an 85 inch beam. Three people can fish comfortably out of it and four can fish in a pinch but only the man standing on the bow platform can fly fish.

Best wishes,
    Avalon

[This message has been edited by Avalon (edited 14 June 2006).]

Thanks.
    With a 16 foot boat, would the the 36' wide then be okay?

Dear Jec,

I'm not endorsing a particular brand of boat, but a boat like this one would handle transporting 4 anglers. Again, actually fishing out of it with 4 people could be a little tight depending on the size of your fishing partners.
    [url=http://www.lowe.com/fishboats/jon-boats/L1648M.html:bf1be]http://www.lowe.com/fishboats/jon-boats/L1648M.html[/url:bf1be]

Just about every jon boat manufacturer makes a comparable model. Depending on where you live you should be able to find a good used version from some reputable manufacturer. A 20 HP motor will move the boat with 4 people, you won't win any drag races, but you will be able to move even in heavy current.

If you will do most of your fishing with only yourself and one other person in the boat a 1448 version would work just fine too.

Maybe I'm extra cautious, but I always believe in getting the biggest and stoutest "whatever" that you can reasonably afford. If you do plan on doing much lake fishing in your boat on larger impoundments I suggest you strongly consider the widest and longest boat you can afford.

Summer thunderstorms can easily turn a calm cove into something that is downright dangerous to be in when you are in a small boat.

Most boating accidents occur when people over estimate both their seamanship and the capabilities of their boat. I'm not trying to scare you, but you only have to look back a couple of days to see the post LF made about the boating accident in California. Wind and wave action is tough on small boats.

Best wishes,
    Avalon

Thanks. Right now, if 4 people go, it would be myself, wife and 2 kids, but chances are good at least 1 of the 3 will get burned out, or if all 3 do, it would be just me. Trying to find a boat that will be big enough, but not too big in case it ends up being just me.

Dear Jec,

If that is the case a 1448 should be more than adequate. If you find yourself fishing solo it will be easy to launch and recover by yourself, especially if you add guide-ons and glide sticks to your trailer.

If your children are younger you will really appreciate the extra stability that comes from the wider bottom versus a 1436.

You and the wife and children will be able to stand and move around on occasion in a boat the size of a 1448. With a 1436 it would definitely be awkward and maybe even unsafe. You get higher sides with the 1448 to match the wider bottom. That is a key consideration with small children.

If you are looking at a new boat visit a couple of boat dealers and tell them what you have told me about the who, where, and why of your boating needs.

You will quickly be able to figure out if a boat dealer just wants to sell you a boat or if they want to sell you a boat you will be happy with.

Best wishes,
    Avalon

I've kind of narrowed it down a little. Alumacraft makes a 1442, that can hold 4 people equaling 770lbs(or 192lbs a person, I only weigh about 160 and my wife less)and I like the weight of the boat, dry hull weight of about 190lbs which would make it easier to maneuver when I'm by myself. The only thing I don't like about it is its rivetted.
    Xpress makes a 14 foot with a 40 inch bottom that is all welded, but no 42 inch bottom. I'd love to find a 1442 that is all welded but I'm not finding any manufacturers, at least in Ark. I don't know if I will try a riveted boat or not.

Did you try

[url=http://www.seaarkboats.com/models/modeldisplay.asp?model=1&t=:00423]http://www.seaarkboats.com/models/modeldisplay.asp?model=1&t=[/url:00423]
    [url=http://www.legendcraft.com/boats4.htm:00423]http://www.legendcraft.com/boats4.htm[/url:00423]

[This message has been edited by parrotheadcrb (edited 21 June 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread