+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Books

Default Books

Was at Barnes & Nobles today they had quite a few books related to fly fishing. One that caught my eye was titled Trout Bum, there were also several other books by the same author whose name escapes me at this time. Anyone read this book or can suggest some reading, not just how to type of books all types please.

Wire

Wire, RW here

The author is John Gierach, probably the most prolific writer on trout fishing today.
    I think he has about 15 or 16 books published that are still in print since "Trout Bum" was published in 1986. I've got just about all of them and only need a couple more to fill in the spaces. The kind of books you can't put down.

Later, RW

------------------
    "Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." <John Gierach>
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

"Trout Bum" is a good one. I've read it at least twice.

Search the archives for "books". There have been several threads on great (and not so great) FF books.

I am working my way through his books now, they are very good in my opinion.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Check your email wireguy
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I think I do have every book published by John Gierach. Trout Bum might be my favorite, but I pretty much have enjoyed every one.

I saw A.K. Best at the Fly Fishing show in Somerset, NJ this winter and felt like I knew him!

You might also enjoy "The Longest Silence" by Tom McGuane. Gierach is an incredibly comfortable read. But, by his own admission, Tom McGuane "loves words", and it shows. I very much enjoy his writing but have to look a word up in a dictionary occasionally. I think you'll find that McGuane is worth the extra work. I did and still do.

I would also like to recommend "On the Run: An Angler's Journey Down the Striper Coast" by David DiBenedetto -- even if you aren't a striper enthusiast. Really a fun read. You won't regret it.

Finally, consider "Jerusalem Creek: Fly Fishing Through Driftless Country" by Ted Leeson. You'll enjoy it and learn something at the same time! At least I did.

If you're not familiar with it, the driftless area is in SE Wisconsin.

Best!

Thanks for all the replys, I saw a whole slew of the books by that same author or Trout Bum. Will be getting it tomorrow after fishing.

Wire

Oh boy, well OK,,, of all, he is not on my list. Just don't like that 'type' of writing.

I think it's McGuane that has a couple of the funniest bits I've ever seen written involving fishing. One of them describes a guy suffering a bout of Gout in his toe while in fish camp with his buddies. The other describes watching a guy follow a big fish down to a bridge abutment, then into the water and floating under the bridge, loosing the fish, and crawling up on shore, lying head down to drain out, and putting his sunglasses on. That kind of stuff takes real writting skill to make the reader roll out the big belly laugh. I did on both of those stories. Isn't McGuane an English professor or something?? Of course I might be wrong on the author, it's been a few years since I read them.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

wireguy:

Don't neglect the "old" books, those that you may not find in Barnes & Noble. I could spend hours listing some of the authors I grew up reading in the fly fishing arena.

Stop in any and all used books stores you see. 99% of my collection came from those places. And while you're at it, take a ride up Route 209 and head to Route 54 and the Hometown Flea Market on Wednesdays, lots of books floating around there.

Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread