+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoon fly template cutter?

Default Spoon fly template cutter?

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a punch or some other cutter to use for a spoon fly template? I have some rolls of holographic tape in various colors that I want to use for some epoxy spoon flies. I've seen the premade sheets from Creative Feathers but I would rather make my own. I do have a paper punch that I bought from a scrapbooking site and the pattern is a balloon. It seems to work fairly well but I would rather locate one that has "tabs" on both ends for tying to the hook since the ballon only has a tab on one end and I have to glue/cement the other end. (if that makes sense)

I've also tried just cutting it with scissors but I can never get it to look right.

Maybe this guy can help:

http://www.austinflyfishers.com/news...AFFMarNL09.pdf

just scroll down a bit

I made some spoon flies using wire frame and filled with epoxy; they came out okay and wobbled pretty true.

Regards,
    Scott

Would it work to take a finished fly and push it into some silly putty? Then you have a mold to work from...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

I would try River Road Creations, as they make all kinds of cutters for fly bodies: riverroadcreations.com. Or simply Google for them.

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    I would try River Road Creations, as they make all kinds of cutters for fly bodies: riverroadcreations.com. Or simply Google for them.
    Funny you should say that. I contacted one of the folks at one of the links provided above. That person told me the same thing. I've emailed River Road Creations and they got back to me. It looks like they will have no problems creating the cutter for the bodies.
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have had a couple of guys be very generous this year, it's time for a little payback. PM your name and address and I will mail you a few of the chrome fake finger nails I have on my bench. You can shaped them with a dremel or embry board. Or is it a emory board?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Ok, I heard back from River Road Creations. They can make me a customer body cutter but they said it wouldnt' work very well on the holographic tape since the cutter is really made to cut foam. They did suggest putting it between two pieces of foam and cutting it that way. Im contemplating getting it anyway just to try it out because it has to work better than me mutilating it with a pair of scissors!

@ uncle Jesse, thanks for the offer but Im currently working in Afghanistan and shipping over here tends to be a bit more than shipping to the states. Ive never used the fake fingernails before, but, do they work good for that? It sounds interesting since they already have a curved shape to them.

The fake fingernails were an impulse buy, I was at Dollar Tree and there were chrome fingernails in a near little plastic pack. They become a spoon shape very quickly, I added a split shot for weight, use a hook a little longer than the body, wrap the hook wi th thread and fill the void with epoxy, I added some glitter to the epoxy for added bling. THen I added a little dressing to the part of the hook protruding at the bottom. I haven't fish them much but they look pretty good.

I will try to figure out which box they are in and include a photo later today.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 08-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have made some spoon flies from fake fingernails also. I used the same method as Uncle Jesse, except mine were not chrome to start with. I had to put a couple of coats of gold fingernail polish on mine. They seem to work fine and I have caught redfish along the Texas coast with them.

Ted

+ Reply to Thread