This past Thursday I was honored to take part in a memorial service for a man that was a true Nerd long before the term was ever used to discribe a person. He had his Ham Radio License when in High School in the early 60's. He could not only name the stars but recite more information about them then I ever cared to know! (I did learn later that this talent worked on the girls quite well!!). He also built his first computer from a kit by HeathKit!!

He graduated The University of Michagan with a degree in electrial engineering and went to work for a company in Cedar Rapids, IA where he went on to help design the guidance system for the Atlas Rocket!

If not for him we would not have our fancy GPS units keeping track of where we are and where we want to go! He was the guy that made it work!

He was a Sci Fi nut and even tried his hand at writting. He was a regular at Star Trek Conventions! He loved canoeing, backpaking, and hiking. He also knew a good wine when he tasted one but was not afraid of a few cold beers or a good single malt.

We never discussed politics as he was as liberal as they come and I'm very much a consertive, best to just let things lay!

He was my brother.