+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sport or ego?

If you read the article, it was a lot more than a "leisurely four hour swim". And to put the icing on the cake, he had to hold it up out of the water for a hero shot. Also. there must have been measuring and weighting involved to qualify for the record. He should have kept the fish.

Had he kept that fish, he would have been crucified on here and other boards across the internet. We would read countless letters to the editor about how terrible of an act it was, to kill a thing as beautiful as a trout. Folks would have been on him 1000 times worse, like flies on a carcass.

He purposefully fished for a record....he used too light of tackle....he over-played the fish....he held the fish for pictures....and then on top of that....he released it.

After reading some of these posts, I wish the guy would have caught it....had it measured to confirm it was a record...then filleted it and grilled it....with pictures of the frying pan...then written the article on the trout "recipe" he used.

That way some of you would have legitimately soiled your white linen britches of purity over it....and I could have enjoyed a good many laughs as well.

Really?....I mean "REALLY?"
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 08-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.

As I'm sure you all know, there is a lot of ego involved in this hobby.

Lest anyone forget that fishing (fly or otherwise) is a blood sport. Now I haven't not released all trout caught, nor even eaten a trout, in many many years, but OMG. Imagine the responses if he had:
    06.jpg

Allan

I would just say I hope you enjoyed your meal. I'm sure it was scrumptious! And, congratulations on your line weight record.

Hell, it's just one lake trout.

Tip of the hat for releasing it. Can't say it survived or not.

Hell, it's just one lake trout.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Had he kept that fish, he would have been crucified on here and other boards across the internet. We would read countless letters to the editor about how terrible of an act it was, to kill a thing as beautiful as a trout. Folks would have been on him 1000 times worse, like flies on a carcass...
    Good thing people don't know about the lake trout festivities they have for weeks on end on Flathead Lake every year to hunt down, capture, and kill as many lake trout as possible. The winner has to catch a lot of them and bring their dead carcasses to the judges to earn the big bucks first prize.

But I ain't gonna tell them.

John
    The fish are always right.

Say it ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Say it ain't so!
    Okay - it ain't so. But it is.
    The fish are always right.

This guy selfishly traveled for the sake of his own pleasure. I call that ego.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    This guy selfishly traveled for the sake of his own pleasure. I call that ego.
    Absolutely ... and if I could afford to do that, I'd be just as egotistic and selfish.
    He probably gives more to charity every year than most of us on this board make in a year.
    Are you saying you've never traveled for your own pleasure, Tyrone? Never traveled on vacation?
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

+ Reply to Thread