+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NW Oregon info wanted

Default NW Oregon info wanted

Wallowa info needed
    Any tips on rivers/streams to flyfish trout in the Joeseph/wallowa area.

Post here or I M me.

Thanks.

You're asking about NE Oregon not NW. Sorry I don't have any intell. You might try Westfly if you don't get an answer here.

The Grande Ronde River comes immediately to mind...then there is the Snake with it's tributaries and of course Wallowa Lake.

the john day river is bass heaven

Blog Entries

There's a huge fire in the snake river gorge between Oregon and Idaho. There might be a lot of smoke in the area your headed to. You shouldn't have trouble finding fish-able water. hope you enjoy your trip
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Aside from the Grand Ronde, a comfortable hike up into the Eagle Cap area behind Wallowa Lake will get you into lots of small stream and pond fishing for brookies. The tram ride from the lake to the top of the mountain there provides a stunning vista of the whole Alps-like environment of this area. If it isn't too smoky, there's a road that you can take into the Hell's Canyon for fishing the Snake.
    Pat

You didn't say when you were going so I hope this isn't to late. There is a good flyshop in Joseph ( http://www.josephflyshoppe.com/ ). Both the Imnaha and Wallowa Rivers offer good fishing. The Nature Conservancy has purchased several access points on the Imnaha (maps available in Joseph) and there is good access to the Wallowa below the town of Wallowa. Water will be low this time of year. The lower Imnaha is legend for its rattlesnakes. They are prevalent enough that the town of Imnaha has a rattelsnake festival earlier in the year. Haven't spend much time in the area but I did well on the Imnaha working my way up from town. Great country just to soak in the atmosphere. The drive up to Hat Point is worth it if you have a pick-up or SUV (wouldn't recommend for a passenger car), don't mind steep drop offs and it isn't closed due to the fire. Fabulous views including the Snake River canyon which is deeper than the Grand Canyon. Enjoy your visit.

Dean

+ Reply to Thread