+ Reply to Thread

Thread: southbend refinish

Default southbend refinish

this will make a right sweet heirloom rod. *sixty one years young...

rod'll get at least one more dip before it's through.

man that thing is gorgeous! nice work. what are the specs? am I seeing 9' on the label?

Good lookin' stick Mikey!

Dennis

wow - hearing from two of the finest tyers on the planet. *that's nice. *looks like we've kinda fallen off the map, eh?

jason - the rod is a south bend 59. *9ft. *3pc/2 tips. *not sure which lines it'll handle - we'll determine that once it is fully finished. *bass action whatever that is - cited to be stiffer than dry fly or trout action. *again whatever that means. *I've added a b/w agate stripping guide, the decal bracket wraps and claret tips to the (original) b/w jasper silk. *both tips had delam issues to repair.

I'm trying to stay busy. *this kinda project can be done indoors as opposed to the grunt work building a blank in the heatsink I call a workshop (read "garage"). * keep in touch gentlemen.

NewTyer 1 Guest

That is a sweet rod. I like the darker color Bamboo. You said the wraps are blk/white? It only looks black in the picture. How did you come across it? And was it complete or did you have to put some work into it? I know you said it had delamination issues so I am assuming it may have been in rough shape. Did you go with original wraps? I was just given a hand wrapper kit and a four piece 8'6" 5wt graphite blank and have a "Lil' Streamer" blank coming and maybe a "Crooked Creek" blank too. the last two are cane and very famous rods so hopfully I get them soon so I can start putting them together. I think the Lil' Streamer is 4' something and has like 10 eyes including stripper and tiptop.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

"Bass Rod" means that it requires a much heavier line than for a "Trout" rod; a line that is heavy enough to throw large bass bugs. This rod may handle an 8wt beautifully; possibly even a 9wt. The bass bugs typically fished during the 'hey-day' of this rod were very large, wind-resistant monsters that required a stiffer rod and much heavier line to readily be cast.

NICE REDO JOB!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 08-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.

That's some pretty work. Do you have any "before" pictures? I've done some furniture restorations, and the before/after pics really impress the clients. I've seen bamboo rods, but they didn't look that pretty ... really good job.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

That's going to be a good looking rod when you're done. Here are some photos of the same model rod that I bought off this board sometime back. The guy I bought it from did a fantastic job on it. Can't remember who it was-it may have been you.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread