+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wader opinions, Everybody has one

Default Wader opinions, Everybody has one

I know opinions are like...never mind..So lets hear them on waders. After 3 1/2 years of fishing in at least 4 different states my Hodgman Streamlight waders ($79 Dick's spoting goods specials) have begun to leak on a leg seam. I will make every attempt to identify the leak and use this pair for some warm water streams around here. But, due to a recent windfall, precipitated by my back muscles, ( I never get called for the design and engineering part, just the heavy lifting) I have $180 to buy some new waders. What's the best thing going for the price. Don't need boots, just waders.I'm a Med. to Lg. Want breatheables. Don't care about bells and whistles, just wear and durability.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

$219.00 Chota might be just what you are looking for. [url=http://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92&section=store:1da5c]http://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92&section=store[/url:1da5c]

LL Bean's Emergers. In your price range too. After going through other waders I bought these 3 years ago and have had zero leaks or problems. If ever I need a repair or replacement that I thought should be warrantied, LL Bean's has the 100% guarantee and they back it up.

jed

Given the inherent problems associated with the off shore manufacture of waders make sure you buy exactly what is recommended by folks with long experience with the specific wader. The problem here, is by the time folks have long experience with a specific wader they are normally no longer on the market and the replacement can be garbage.

Since all waders are now produced off shore there are virtually no repairs available. They just send you a new pair that will probably fail in the same manner that yours did..... bummer.

Ralph

There's three I would try...Simm's, Simm's and Simm's. I've used numerous brands and none have held up as well as my guideweights have. Those would be out of the price range, but they do make less expensive ones. I would check them out.

If you are looking for breathable waders for average use, the ones recommended are fine. I have a pair of Hodgeman Wade lites that lasted me about 6 years before they developed pin hole leaks. If you want dependable, comfortable and probably the only brand of waders you will own after you have had a pair, go with Simms. They are worth the money. You get what you pay for.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

"Since all waders are now produced off shore there are virtually no repairs available."

Sorry, my Simms are made in Bozeman, Montana. The lights are $200. Six years and not even a pinhole.

+ Reply to Thread