+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ziploc omelet

Default Ziploc omelet

Robin,
    Thanks for doing the recipe in What's Cookin'. I had seen it before and wanted to try it out, but couldn't remember whereI saw it. I thought it would be a good breakfast for Scout campouts or anytime where kids are involved with camping. Easy to prepare, cook, and especially, clean up after.
    Mike

A lady friend told me of this a few years ago and I thought I would give it a try. The bag went to the bottom of the pot and melted a hole in it. I ended up with egg and plastic soup. Don't know what went wrong. Still sounds like a good idea. If only I could get it right.

Rocky

Man...back when I was in scouts, we used to make eggs in hollowed out oranges. That looks delicious...definitely giving this one a try.

We have been making these for years, yep started with scouts. Rocky, you gotta use the heavy duty zip lock freezer bags. A hint, we have found out it is easiest to put all ingredants in first, leaving eggs till last. This is especially important if you have little kids making their own. If you add the eggs first they end up spilling alot of it out. I think this is turning into a food network site.....FAOL Food-At-Our-Leisure..........tounge in cheek.

Blog Entries

Thanks but I cannot take credit for the idea. My friend Tom Anderson up in Arkansas (drat it, he walks down the hill to fish some of the best water in the USA) sent it to me along with the images.

I would expect that leaving air in the bag and making sure it floats might be the best solution. Long term contact between plastic and a heat source is not conducive to good cooking I found that out the hard way my own self LOL.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:da3a1]Sweetness On The Water[/url:da3a1]
    [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/:da3a1]Good Ol? Lepomis Macrochirus[/url:da3a1]

I've done this for a large group an it didn't really work out for us.
    With more than a few bags it the pot at once there was a long recovery time for the water to heat back up and even longer for the eggs to cook.
    For large groups I have a large commercial wok that goes on the campfire and will take temperatures as hot as you can make it and will not burn
    Your favorite Chinese take out place will need to replace their woks regularly and will just throw them out.

------------------
    May the fish that you catch always be larger than the hole in your net
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

This is strange, the reports of failed ziplock omelets. I have done this at least twenty times over the years with up to 20 people at times. I msut admit, all were over a coleman stove, it is not easy to get water to a rolling boil on a Coleman, at least not for me. Never had one bag pop open and all the omelets were cooked through and lots of raves. I know it took quite a while to cook but then there is coffee and doughnuts too. Don't give up on a great way to enjoy a breakfast with little fuss and cleanup. IMOHO Jonezee
    Didn't I hear it on the Blue Collar Comedy night just lately?
    "You must be a red-neck if you own a used Chinese Wok"

I am editing to keep me from rolling across the floor in hysteria....you guys are great!

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 20 June 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 20 June 2006).]

huh that's very neat, so is the consensus to leave some air in the bag so it doesnt hit bottom and burn a hole?

+ Reply to Thread